Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's ironic that RVG marred his beautiful recordings with horrid CD remastering techniques. The SHM CD series, along with the XRCDs and Analogue Productions SACDs reveal how wonderful these recordings are -- and the extent that the RVG CD masters underserved the tapes. It's sad that we had to suffer through 10 years of RVG remasters.

100% with you on that.

I'm pretty much done these days with these old LPs - I get it, I've had them around a long time - but it really IS a pity that these really vivid and present new transfers have only now finally come around.

Edited by David Ayers

This is my opinion..and i'm speaking for myself....

but i wonder..finally, is it more important the MUSIC or maybe the technical data?

I really don't care if these upcoming reissues are SHM-CD or what else...

For me...the real focus is the music, so welcome these new BN reissues..

.....but i'm speaking for myself :Nod::Nod::Nod:

The good news for me, is that the record shops here now have the SHM-CD's in. Not in great numbers, but significant to warrant my interest and not just purchase from CD Japan. Although yesterday, I plummed not for any Blue Note SHM, but the Oliver Nelson Prestige's: Screamin' The Blues and Meet....

The good news for me, is that the record shops here now have the SHM-CD's in. Not in great numbers, but significant to warrant my interest and not just purchase from CD Japan. Although yesterday, I plummed not for any Blue Note SHM, but the Oliver Nelson Prestige's: Screamin' The Blues and Meet....

as this is (also) about sound, these Oliver Nelson SHM-CD`s sound excellent ....

I don't have answers to that.

Bernie Grundman seems to be transfering the master tapes into high resolution digital. Some of these seem to be sold as high resolution downloads. The Blue Note releases from the US last year (Miles, Monk, Brown, Coltrane) seem to use these transfers mastered by other engineers. There are some who believe that these transfers are used by Japanese engineers to master the SHM-CD releases from Japan.

Edited by jazzbo

Is the Jack Wilson SHM-CD remaster of "Something Personal" a transfer from the 1990s remix? Or the original 1966 stereo mix?

Nothing is written in english for this matter and I do not have the remix. However, I can say that I am very impressed by the interplay in the session. And Charles Williams' bass solos at Coleman's "The Sphinx" are a wonder (I was not prepared to listen to such sound in a BN record). If this CD had not been mentioned earlier in this thread, I would not have purchased it. Thanks!

Alex

Is the Jack Wilson SHM-CD remaster of "Something Personal" a transfer from the 1990s remix? Or the original 1966 stereo mix?

Nothing is written in english for this matter and I do not have the remix. However, I can say that I am very impressed by the interplay in the session. And Charles Williams' bass solos at Coleman's "The Sphinx" are a wonder (I was not prepared to listen to such sound in a BN record). If this CD had not been mentioned earlier in this thread, I would not have purchased it. Thanks!

Alex

I believe this is Buster Williams under an alias ......

Alex

I believe this is Buster Williams under an alias ......

I agree....born as Charles "Buster" Williams

These three albums are Just what you expect...Very relaxed swingin' jazz piano trio,a classy collection of standards,blues-oriented and bop tunes of the age.

Not jazz milestones or indispensable albums but a great add to any Blue Note collection..

If i'm Not wrong both "Here we come" and "Hey There" have never been reissued outside of Japan,

...definitely all the three titles are Worth of purchasing for me.

What are thoughts on the 3 Sounds releases in the SHM CD series? Are any of these three titles standouts worth picking up? I'm not familiar with these titles. (Here We Come, Hey There, Black Orchid)

Personally I rank Here We Come and Hey There slightly ahead of Black Orchid but not by a whole lot.

What are thoughts on the 3 Sounds releases in the SHM CD series? Are any of these three titles standouts worth picking up? I'm not familiar with these titles. (Here We Come, Hey There, Black Orchid)

Personally I rank Here We Come and Hey There slightly ahead of Black Orchid but not by a whole lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne4Os0EidOs

Charles Williams' bass solos at Coleman's "The Sphinx" are a wonder (I was not prepared to listen to such sound in a BN record).

I had to go back and listen to this track. Do you perhaps mean Ray Brown's cello solo? Buster Williams does have a 32-bar walking break around 3:50, which starts out with a cool arpeggiated riff, but it doesn't shout "solo," at least when I hear it. Regardless, fine playing all around.

Hey There is surely the best for the money because you also get 10 of 11 tracks issued as Babe's Blues, and holy bleeep, the unissued track from that day's session, "Billy Boy," is a burner. And as a very nice added bonus, there is a quite extended series of fours between Gene and the under-appreciated Bill Dowdy. Superb!

Edited by Dan Gould

Universal Japan has set up a page for these releases but no remastering credits from what I can see.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/blue-note-the-finest1100

And no bonus tracks. Kenny Burrell's Five Spot date, and Una Mas, for example, benefit from their bonus tracks.

Since there no bonus tracks, does that mean these are older remasterings being recycled? If so, does that no more CDs of the new Bernie Grundman digital transfers will be issued?

It was mentioned upthread that the Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee SHM CD may be from a tape source instead of a needle drop. Has anyone confirmed this?

Edited by monkboughtlunch

Charles Williams' bass solos at Coleman's "The Sphinx" are a wonder (I was not prepared to listen to such sound in a BN record).

I had to go back and listen to this track. Do you perhaps mean Ray Brown's cello solo? Buster Williams does have a 32-bar walking break around 3:50, which starts out with a cool arpeggiated riff, but it doesn't shout "solo," at least when I hear it. Regardless, fine playing all around.

You are right, of course. It is the cello solo by Ray Brown.

Universal Japan has set up a page for these releases but no remastering credits from what I can see.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/blue-note-the-finest1100

And no bonus tracks. Kenny Burrell's Five Spot date, and Una Mas, for example, benefit from their bonus tracks.

Since there no bonus tracks, does that mean these are older remasterings being recycled? If so, does that no more CDs of the new Bernie Grundman digital transfers will be issued?

It was mentioned upthread that the Duke Pearson Sweet Honey Bee SHM CD may be from a tape source instead of a needle drop. Has anyone confirmed this?

The Bernie Grundman transfers released on HD Tracks lack bonus tracks. On the other hand, nowhere does Universal Japan mention these Blue Note The Finest 1100 discs are 24bit 192kHz masterings. Perhaps a photo of the obi of an actual CD will provide an answer.

Bernie Grundman transfers feature bonus tracks on the US released cd sets from last year fyi.

Personally I doubt these new reissues use new masterings. . . .I think you're going to discover a lot are RVGs or the earlier 24 bit masterings that appeared before the 75th anniversary series that many have complained about. Doesn't seem as if anyone here has a Blue Note Japan connection. Perhaps someone could query Michael Cuscuna.