Julius Hemphill

Late

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I've never heard of or seen this one. Definitely one to check out.

2-disc set. Extended solos. While I like Kowald a lot, it's Hemphill's playing that is the highlight for me. Sound is somewhat distant but clear.

I may have mentioned that I met Julius once.  It was a bit weird - I was writing for City Pages in the Twinn Cities and drove him and some hanger on around for the day before a performance, bought them both lunch so I definitely lost money on the deal.  He didn't want to talk about leaving the WSQ or losing his leg - both too painful I guess.  Whatever.  The International Phonograph reissue of Dogon A.D. is a beautiful thing and so is Diminutive Mysteries and the big band thing with Frisell among many others.

20 hours ago, Late said:

2-disc set. Extended solos. While I like Kowald a lot, it's Hemphill's playing that is the highlight for me. Sound is somewhat distant but clear.

The source for the No Business' LP/CD is an audience recording. The MAMAstudios managed to improve the rather muddy sound of the source considerably. So they did a very good job IMO.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Now this is what I'd call a bargain:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/808351/Julius-Hemphill-Mbari-:Dogon-AD-2LP-200-gram-pressing-with-bonus-track?cat=jazz

I guess I don't have to say anything about the music which is of course essential but just like cd version this 2 lp set sounds incredible. 25 bucks! If I lived in the U.S. i'd probably buy a second set just in case :P

21 minutes ago, Pim said:

Now this is what I'd call a bargain:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/808351/Julius-Hemphill-Mbari-:Dogon-AD-2LP-200-gram-pressing-with-bonus-track?cat=jazz

I guess I don't have to say anything about the music which is of course essential but just like cd version this 2 lp set sounds incredible. 25 bucks! If I lived in the U.S. i'd probably buy a second set just in case :P

Great bargain. It’s £60 and up over here.