Karin Krog in New York, October 29

Pete C

Legendary Norwegian Jazz Singer Makes Rare New York Appearance

Karin Krog/Steve Kuhn Duo in Benefit Concert for Norwegian Seamen's Church, Tuesday, October 29, 7PM

New York, August 31, 2013 – On Tuesday, October 29, at 7pm, Karin Krog and Steve Kuhn will perform in a benefit concert for the Norwegian Seamen's Church, 317 East 52nd Street. This is a very rare U.S. appearance for Krog, and she will be reunited with long-time collaborator Kuhn on piano. Suggested donation is $20.

One of Europe's best-known and most distinctive jazz singers, Norway's Karin Krog has performed and recorded with some of the biggest names in jazz since the 1960s. Comfortable in an eclectic range of musical styles from mainstream to experimental, she's been called "a superlative interpreter of standards" by the BBC. Karin's international career began to take off in 1966; in 1967 she performed in Los Angeles with Don Ellis, Red Mitchell and Clare Fischer. Her 1971 collaboration with Dexter Gordon, "Some Other Spring," is considered a classic jazz vocal recording by critics and aficionados. Karin has also recorded with such luminaries as Archie Shepp, John Surman and Jan Garbarek. In 2007 she received Norway's most prestigious culture award, the Anders Jahres Culture Prize. Karin's collaborations with pianist Steve Kuhn go back more than 40 years; over the years the two have released three albums together, beginning with "We Could Be Flying," in 1974, and most recently in 2006, with "Together Again."

Over a career of a half-century and counting, Steve Kuhn has earned renown as one of the most lyrical and affecting pianists in jazz, with an unfailingly beautiful touch and a sophisticated sense of swing. Steve is a sensitive collaborator with singers, and has had a long association with Sheila Jordan. He has led a number of critically acclaimed trios over the years, most recently with Steve Swallow and Joey Baron.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll absolutely be there tonight.

It's positively dismaying to me to note that no one here makes any mention of what I consider her most incomparable recording - "I Remember You" by a wonderful trio of Karen, Warne Marsh and Red Mitchell. A 3-piece philharmonic orchestra!

If you're there tonight, say hello. Just look for a very old guy with a beard.