Illinois Jacquet / Leo Parker Toronto 1947

thirdtry

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of goodness, let's say that your love of Lester Young = your love of caramel apples, while the caramel is still soft warm and gooey.

It then follows that this album will be to you like bobbing for apples, big plump juicy apples, in a washtub full, neigh, endlessly deep yet still/and overflowing with soft warm and gooey caramel. It will get all over you face and all up in your ears and in whatever else parts you let fall into the soft warm and gooey caramel along with the big plump juicy apples, all in pursuit of the craving, not the satisfaction as much as just letting the craving have its way with you, and you will delight in that like a big dog.

That's how much the spirit of Lester Young (or more truthfully, the Immortal Spirit Of Our One True Lester Young) is all up over and inside and coming out of all this music.

And it's live, live, all the way live. Some might scoff, but it really feels like being in the presence of this band in its time/place and being in the presence of Chuck Brown in his probably weren't too different. There's that feeling of...consenting adults fully trusting each other that you just don't hear that many places.

Shadow Wilson, btw, between this and the 1943 Basie airshots & anything for that matter live with Shadow Wilson on it, hey, there is no doubt.

For the sake of goodness, let's say that your love of Lester Young = your love of caramel apples, while the caramel is still soft warm and gooey.

It then follows that this album will be to you like bobbing for apples, big plump juicy apples, in a washtub full, neigh, endlessly deep yet still/and overflowing with soft warm and gooey caramel. It will get all over you face and all up in your ears and in whatever else parts you let fall into the soft warm and gooey caramel along with the big plump juicy apples, all in pursuit of the craving, not the satisfaction as much as just letting the craving have its way with you, and you will delight in that like a big dog.

That's how much the spirit of Lester Young (or more truthfully, the Immortal Spirit Of Our One True Lester Young) is all up over and inside and coming out of all this music.

And it's live, live, all the way live. Some might scoff, but it really feels like being in the presence of this band in its time/place and being in the presence of Chuck Brown in his probably weren't too different. There's that feeling of...consenting adults fully trusting each other that you just don't hear that many places.

Shadow Wilson, btw, between this and the 1943 Basie airshots & anything for that matter live with Shadow Wilson on it, hey, there is no doubt.

Pretty good then, I guess. Still waiting for mine to arrive. Mail is dang slow this time of the year.

BTW, a question to those of you who also received a shipping confirmation for the Jacquet/Parker Uptown CD through amazon.co.uk on Nov. 19: Have any of you received their item yet? Just wondering ...

No I haven't, but the delivery estimate was 26th November to 16th December so not panicking just yet!!

But my main focus is the Disques Vogue box which my wife's sister is giving me at Christmas so I won't start chewing the edge of the carpet until December 26th.

Mine arrived this morning. Just finished listening to it. Fabuloso! Illinois wins at the ballads - 'Body & soul' really gets you - until they up the tempo. 'Memories of you', too. Leo seems to win on up numbers. But they're all winners, in a sense.

Uptown mislabelled some of the numbers, I'm certain; 'Robbins nest' is #9 not #8. Never mind.

MG

The Amazon preorder price seemed too high to me, so I waited for Dusty Groove to get it at a price I liked more, which they did.

Amazon often refunds part of the pre-order price based on competitor prices and in this case they reduced the price by $1.99 after shipment.

BTW, a question to those of you who also received a shipping confirmation for the Jacquet/Parker Uptown CD through amazon.co.uk on Nov. 19: Have any of you received their item yet? Just wondering ...

Pulled the trigger on my reply too quickly because the CD has just dropped into my mailbox. Whipped away by my wife as it's another Christmas present.

Pulled the trigger on my reply too quickly because the CD has just dropped into my mailbox. Whipped away by my wife as it's another Christmas present.

Same here, in fact. ;)

I asked too quickly. My copy hit the mailbox today too.

Excellent service at an affordable price.

Will give it a listen this evening.

The Amazon preorder price seemed too high to me, so I waited for Dusty Groove to get it at a price I liked more, which they did.

Amazon often refunds part of the pre-order price based on competitor prices and in this case they reduced the price by $1.99 after shipment.

Yeah, I figured there would be a deal like that after it came out. But that original asking price (which ended up being too close to 20 for comfort) made me feel somewhat fuquitous, so I hrrmphed on it. When DG popped it up at their price, I said, yeah, this is more like it. And they whisked it on over, like they usually do.

Sometimes I don't mind stuff like that, sometimes I do. Since Amazon claims to "know" me so damn well, they should know that, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked this up at Stereo Jack's along with the Lester Young Boston 1950 also on Uptown. Fidelity on the Lester is much better. I wish the notes had more about the story behind the tape, or maybe I just scanned through them too fast.

No you didn't. The liner notes are relatively brief and superficial compared to those of other Uptown releases of never-before-issued live recordings.

Maybe Bob Sunenblick or Bob Blumenthal (who were responsible for previous ones) ought to have had a hand in them?

I cannot really complain about the fidelity, though.