Suggestions sought: Speaker wires

GA Russell

Right. I'm certain that ALS on Blu-ray does sound phenomenal. But, how does it stack up against the deluxe CD pressing, in your opinion? Because it sounds pretty damned good on that as well. Do you find the Blu-ray to truly be superior, or like so many re-releases and remasters, just another fine version of something you already had a fine version of?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference caused by the resolution. In my opinion a high resolution recording (in this case especially heard in 24/96 as opposed to 24/48 through the DAC) has an edge over the same mastering in Redbook. In this instance I'm not sure this is the same mastering, it says it is by Reeves, not Van Gelder, and doesn't exactly sound the same.

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...

Bumped for those who still haven't gotten a load of Lon's system.

A work of art visually, and one I can't imagine being any less than a work of art audibly.

Even if he does spend WAY too much on cables! ;)

Lon, is there any chance you'd post some pics here of your entire system? The amp itself is astonishing, but I'd like to see your entire setup.

BTW, yeah this is a cheap Chinese integrated amp, but one I'm considering for my next purchase.

photo_02.jpg

Edited by Scott Dolan

Sorry Scott, I'm tired of the ridicule that some heap on anyone who expresses any interest or ownership in high end audio here, I'm bowing out of these type of discussions and I'm not going to share pictures.

And I'm not a photographer and don't really have any to post regardless.

Edited by jazzbo

Wow. :(

Lon, I meant that in the most sincere way. I apologize for not conveying my message properly.

I really dug the pic you posted of your amp, and the link you posted for your speakers. Just thought it'd be cool to see pics of your system as a whole.

If you'd like to delete your previous post, I'll certainly delete mine so that this thresd can remain buried.

Sorry, brother...

I meant no ill will.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Fair enough, my friend.

I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone.

With that said, I do completely respect, and envy, the incredible Decware system you have assembled.

Perhaps we'll all find a common ground of appreciation one of these days.

Hey, they ain't illuminated tubes, but my Emotiva rig does have lots of purdy blue lights. :)

I beg to differ, but that's fine. Speaker cable and interconnect differences are easy to hear if you have requisite components. I'll say no more.

I've heard massive differences with interconnects. I tried some Linn cables between TT and pre-amp and they strangled the sound rendering dull and wooly sounding.

I'm a hesitant audiophile who has slowly upgraded his system over the years. Small incremental steps. I've heard benefit from better CD players, more expensive cartridges, new speakers and in the last 12 months adding a DAC and an even more expensive cartridge. I love great sound but have only so much to spend.

All the changes I've made have made a difference. I'm with Lon regarding audio memory. It simply must exist, it's surely not placebo effect at work. With my new Dynavector cart I can hear details and a change in stereo presentation which I know I've not heard before , even if I've not spun that particular record for some time. In end if the day it should all be about the music it's just some hifi lets you hear it more easily and in greater detail.

Interconnects can to a very small degree if you get $.99 RCA cables from Walmart. But, as with speaker cables, there is no need to spend mega bucks on them.

My Emotiva interconnects are as quiet as the day is long.

Are you implying that Walmart sells noisier RCA cables than Emotiva? What other qualities do RCA cables possess?

Some times ago I made an experiment. After hooking up different wires at the same time, I played a mono cd and toggled with the balance control between left and right channel.

They did sound different, not day and night, but clearly and audibly different even for my former girlfriend. I did the same with interconnects and again the difference, even more.

The problem was that in this way I had only an vague impression of the general "signature": clear, dark, cold, warm, I used these words subjectively, without scientific claim. I couldn't say this is truer or better or whatever. Maybe I could say wich I liked more, maybe. Anyway I quickly dropped my experiments ages ago. I bought wires and interconnects on some requisites: the construction quality and the quality of connectors, I like heavy duty stuff, and mangeability, I have to hook up a speakers or an amplifiers, not to secure a boat during a storm.

Is aluminum noisier than brass? What other sound qualities does aluminum posess? You described Emotiva cables as quiet as the day is long, implying that other cables might not be quiet. I'm curious how you would describe other cables. What other sound qualities do RCA cables posess?

Fuck if I know. All I can tell you is that the cheap, flimsy aluminum connectors degrade over time. The ones I used would oxidize over time which would lead to a degradation in sound with a slight hiss and distortion. Incredibly slight, mind you.

This is why most companies now use brass connectors plated with things like gold and nickel. It helps mitigate oxidation. I don't know if it completely mitigates it, or not.

Porch, what types of wires were you changing out?

Edited by Scott Dolan

I don't remember the other one but I at the end I bought a very long (6 meters) Audio Note copper wire with standard banana terminals, both sides. When I moved I replaced it with a very short (1,5 meter) Harmonix copper wire with banana terminal on speakers side and a speakon neutrik on other side, because was the plug of the amps.

Impressions of different pieces of audio equipment (or interconnects) are nice to read, but ultimately do not offer much help to those looking for suggestions unless they are the result of a more serious - blind - test.

The reason for this is that blind tests have revealed that some (please observe that I'm not saying all) perceived differences from non-blind tests could not be verified in blind tests. So while some components obviously do sound different than others, enough perceived differences can be attributed to placebo to render non-blind tests unreliable at best.

I'm not questioning audio memory or that there are real differences - I'm just saying that non-blind test do produce different results from blind test often enough, and I don't see any reason to rely on non-blind tests on that basis.

Edited by Daniel A

The main problem is what one look for. A serious blind test could only guarantee that there is no difference among two different piece of equipment, but what about if there is a diffference? Is A better then B for what? More deep frequencies or better deep frequencies? Is A "truer" then B? etc.

I have listened to enough components, (I don't compare interconnects and wires anymore, as I said above I change them when I need different ones, longer, shorter, balanced, unbalanced), to reach the conclusion that there is no truth and/or perfection. I had components I loved at first listening and after a while were boring and/or wearing to listen to, components that sounded marvellous in the shop and like caca in my home. I always test components at home in my sistem as long as I can. I mean I don't search the holy graal of hi fi, only a sistem I want listen to as soon I am at home back from work, a sistem that push me to pump up the volume, a good help for listening to music. And yes, possibly nice looking because is placed in sight in the living room and sturdy enough to work ten years without a problem and to bear the cat that love to sleep on the working amp.

Edited by porcy62

I agree. I'm not sure how one would even go about testing multiple pieces of equipment in a double blind. That's mainly why I was asking Daniel for clarification of his statement.

You can easily A/B/X interconnects, speaker cables, that kind of thing on the same equipment. But various pieces of equipment? I'm not sure how or why you'd want to, to be perfectly honest.

So wait a minute. You're saying you don't believe there are differences in audio equipment until a double blind study is conducted?

No:

I'm not questioning audio memory or that there are real differences - I'm just saying that non-blind test do produce different results from blind test often enough, and I don't see any reason to rely on non-blind tests on that basis.

You can easily A/B/X interconnects, speaker cables, that kind of thing on the same equipment. But various pieces of equipment? I'm not sure how or why you'd want to, to be perfectly honest.

The reason would be to compare the sound from different pieces of equipment without the disctraction, prejudices and placebo following the knowledge of what you are listening to. Of course you may compare more than two sources in a blind test.