Remember not to sell discs you might want later

........... Also my Deep Purples but can't recall what I bought instead.

Paracetamol?

Don't think that existed in 1972. Aspirin, perhaps.

I'm sure it did. I can remember a joke at school, which I left in 1960 - why no painkillers in the jungle? Because the parrots eat 'em all.

MG

I sold my ELP discs in order to buy a few Family records. Also my Deep Purples but can't recall what I bought instead.

I flogged my Deep Purples and kept my Family LPs.

I probably bought some acheingly hip 80s indie guitar band with the money which I then sold to buy Jazz in the 90s. And so it has always been, a recycling of significant numbers to fund the next acquisistions - I must have sold hundreds. I'd hate to think how many I'd have if I'd kept everything (there were at least 5 Rush LPs ffs). One day I may compile my shadow collection of the departed and see how many I regret on musical rather than nostalgia grounds.

Buy it once, shame on you. Buy it twice, shame on me!

I think that most of us can identify with that one.

I have a few CDs that i've purchased 3 times... not remastered versions or whatever, the exact same CD. Bought it, traded it, bought it, traded it, bought it. One of the reasons i hang on to stuff now.

I only re-buy things if I'm dissatisfied with the sound quality of the version I've got. As I'm not wildly fussy on the sonic front - I listen at least 40% of the time off an iPod - this is very rare now.

But if a decent remastering of Soft Machine 'Third' comes along or Joni Mitchell's 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' come along I'll be downloading it the week it comes out (what did happen to the promised remastering of the Joni Mitchell catalogue? I'd have thought that would sell by the bucketload).

To be honest, most jazz records have a fair bit of care taken over them. But there are still some very muddy rock reissues out there. Maybe they are harder to reconstruct with all the multi-tracking involved in the originals.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

At one point in my life (vinyl era) I had to sell off 80% of my collection. But almost all of it came back around on CD. Since then have never been squeemish about selling off things, which makes me able to try a lot I would not otherwise.

.... or Joni Mitchell's 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns' come along I'll be downloading it the week it comes out (what did happen to the promised remastering of the Joni Mitchell catalogue? I'd have thought that would sell by the bucketload).

Quite a bit of Joni Mitchell's earlier catalogue, including "Hissing of Summer Lawns", has been re-issued as HD tracks. I'm no audiophile but to me the sound of these HD tracks is a great improvement over the original CDs.

From the moment on, when I started to listen to music by myself, I mean finding my own musical groove and spendin the money which my parents gave me for good schoolwork (my parents dug classical music, Beethoven and stuff) by purchasing records, it was jazz. So I never really was aware of other music. And that´s why I didn´t sell later typical rock or pop albums that youngsters usually bought.

Since I didn´t have much contact to other music fans (too young for goin to clubs), and playin piano myself, first of all I dug jazz piano and since I still didn´t know who Art Tatum, Bud, Monk, Herbie , McCoy were, I only knew about Oscar Peterson because so called "some time jazz listeners" during that time dug Peterson, maybe because it meant easy listenin music, comfortable and educated, how you call it.

I never did regret I sold them Oscar Peterson albums. Only two albums I had then, and sold, I could like again (if I´m lazy or tired or something): "We Get Requests" and "Night Train". Because that´s where he doesnt overdo everything like he usually did.......just bangin all them 88 keys just because they are there and because he "studied" them....., people told me he even had to "study" to play the blues.....oh no man.....

Well, there you see how tastes and preferences vary ... ;)

I am not a big OP fan and have only relatively few of his records (but need to complete my range of those "Exclusively For My Friends" LP series done for MPS in the 60s if the occasion presents itself) but OTOH I cannot really find much listening PLEASURE in those recordings of you know who ;) that show a tormented, torn soul on off-days when he was below par even by the "standards" of his worse days (and which, if we assume that playing the piano was the major way of expressing himself, very much amount to "public striptease of the soul" and just are painful to hear because somehow I am not sure it always is appropriate to be listening in in situations like this ;)). In a way I can see the fascination of this kind of "candid" self-expressions but would have found some of these records much more worthy of being "unfit for release" than those sessions (that might have disturbed some "legacy") mentioned in that current BN thread here ...

If I had bought a larger number of this kind of BP records I therefore am not sure if they wouldn't have ended up being sold off or traded ...

End of O.T. ;)

I've definitely let some stuff go, the collector in me would have liked to keep, some to you guys...

Mostly though I take solace in the fact that I have more music lying around than I may ever listen to all of again. I've become much less sentimental about the physical things and ultimately easy come easy go!

And then there's the other issue: "remember not to buy discs you already own".

I especially hate when they change the title of the release. I've also been bitten when they use a new cover image.

:D :D

So true ...

Happened to me time and again. Though for the most part only in the case of secondhand vinyl that was fairly cheap to start with, and overall I've been able to pass on about 3 quarters of those items without too much fuss, sometimes even with a small profit (which offsets part of the cost of most of what I haven't been able to shift yet ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve