Horace Silver 1928-2014

Mike Schwartz

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Priester was a hoax? I seem to recall a FB campaign to raise money either for medical expenses or so he could stay in his home.

no, that wasnt the hoax, the hoax was very early this yr, jan or feb- rip julian appeared on a blog of some sort, next morn it was all over my f'book feed, the next day, was declared completly untrue.

Yeah, I remember that. I had heard he'd passed from several musicians who'd worked with him and of course, believed it to be so. Glad it wasn't the case.

David, the reason I brought up Alzheimer's is because a few years ago, it was a Christian McBride blog where he reported Horace was suffering from the disease. I then recall reading somewhere (maybe here?) he no longer remembered how to play the piano or that he wrote all that music. I am truly VERY sorry for bringing up the topic. I love Horace's music dearly as a fan, and would never impinge on his private life.

CJ,

I see the blog post referenced.....

Again, I'm just questioning this based on what I know.

I've heard he has Alzheimer's from time to time over the last few years but I have heard no mention of this recently and I have talked to a few people who have talked to Horace in the past year or so (one of them talks to him frequently) and they tell me the conversations are great and that he is quite lucid. If he does have Alzheimer's, it must be in the early stages then. I really don't know enough about the disease or Horace's condition to speculate more then this. This is all very personal stuff and this is a very private family. I just wanted to respond to what I was reading here that I have conflicting information (that I know to be true) to the rumor that he is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. I thought you guys might be relieved to know that he is in better shape then that (and also there is that still being alive part).

I don't post anything that I don't know to be true whether it is something like this or reporting someone's death or whatever......

David, the reason I brought up Alzheimer's is because a few years ago, it was a Christian McBride blog where he reported Horace was suffering from the disease. I then recall reading somewhere (maybe here?) he no longer remembered how to play the piano or that he wrote all that music. I am truly VERY sorry for bringing up the topic. I love Horace's music dearly as a fan, and would never impinge on his private life.

CJ,

I see the blog post referenced.....

Again, I'm just questioning this based on what I know.

I've heard he has Alzheimer's from time to time over the last few years but I have heard no mention of this recently and I have talked to a few people who have talked to Horace in the past year or so (one of them talks to him frequently) and they tell me the conversations are great and that he is quite lucid. If he does have Alzheimer's, it must be in the early stages then. I really don't know enough about the disease or Horace's condition to speculate more then this. This is all very personal stuff and this is a very private family. I just wanted to respond to what I was reading here that I have conflicting information (that I know to be true) to the rumor that he is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. I thought you guys might be relieved to know that he is in better shape then that (and also there is that still being alive part).

I don't post anything that I don't know to be true whether it is something like this or reporting someone's death or whatever......

Thanks for the update, David. Good to get GOOD news from a reliable source!

for all those wondering how the "misunderstanding" began about Horace's demise. I was told by someone in attendance at the NY Local 802 party the other night that it was announced to the 200 members attending.

also, FWIW, I was present at the 2007 tribute to Horace that Christian McBride mentioned and i spent time with Horace backstage. he was in a wheelchair at that time and unable to speak, although he seemed to be enjoying the festivities.

also, FWIW, I was present at the 2007 tribute to Horace that Christian McBride mentioned and i spent time with Horace backstage. he was in a wheelchair at that time and unable to speak, although he seemed to be enjoying the festivities.

Thanks, Valerie. I was also at that gig and wondered why Horace didn't say anything when he was briefly introduced (he just waved to the audience from his chair). Now I know!

Jazzwise apologises for passing on widespread reports on jazz websites, social media and jazz radio and initial checks, that Horace Silver had died. Jazzwise apologises unreservedly to Horace Silver, his family, friends and fans and for any distress this may have caused.

Peace - Mike Flynn"

so was this 'jazzwise' site 'patient zero' of this mess? i checked it out for a sec to try and spot that apology, sux when most of the 'jazz news' is obituaries. :( i notice its from the UK. they obviously got their wires crossed with something, with this. theyre all the way in the UK, why would they break the story. does not compute

so was this 'jazzwise' site 'patient zero' of this mess? i checked it out for a sec to try and spot that apology, sux when most of the 'jazz news' is obituaries. :( i notice its from the UK. they obviously got their wires crossed with something, with this. theyre all the way in the UK, why would they break the story. does not compute

They were very quick off the mark with their obituary but suspect that they picked up this 'news' on the twittersphere.

They were very quick off the mark with their obituary but suspect that they picked up this 'news' on the twittersphere.

Yes, that's what I think. They posted it too quick without a good check...!!!

• 5 months later...