Death of the iPod (Everyone's buying vinyl)

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used an iPod since 2005. It was stolen from my car, couldn't hold a charge.

I know you love you iPods (why do you have more than one), but I have found over the years that CDs and LPs are more convenient, less frustrating, and all around more enjoyable.

I stream Spotify and XM through my phone when I'm on the road, so perhaps I am considered an iPod user?

Just saw the other comments. The only folks I know that have an actual iPod are pre-teens.

They need to build one with a larger storage capacity, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I've given up hope that they will, however.

Bigger than 160 GB?! Most computer hard drives weren't that big not so many years ago. How much storage are you looking for? In higher quality encoding, say 320kbps, that will hold in the neighborhood of 1,000 albums.

Music becomes more and more accessible and the sound gets worse and worser. I wonder where it will end. (Not that I really want to find out.)

That was true about a decade ago. But sound has been improving since then with the advent of ALAC/FLAC, which are indistinguishable from CD/.wav.

And from I've seen most folks challenged cannot tell the difference between a .wav file and a 320kbps AAC. Hell, I'd challenge anyone to correctly pick out a .wav file from a 256kbps VBR AAC.

The biggest downside now is the horrendously shitty production methods in modern studios. Loudness War in end stage. But digital files have improved immensely over the last decade, and seem to still be on an upward trend. iTunes guarantees all their music downloads to be no less than 256kbps, after having 128 as their standard for years. And Emusic has played the catch up game. This tells me that people were complaining about sound quality, or else they wouldn't have changed anything.

I've even heard whispers that with hard drives getting larger and larger, and storage getting cheaper and cheaper, that iTunes will eventually offer ALAC downloads. And at that point, you've got the same thing they pulled off the original disc.

That sounds pretty good to me.

They need to build one with a larger storage capacity, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I've given up hope that they will, however.

Bigger than 160 GB?! Most computer hard drives weren't that big not so many years ago. How much storage are you looking for? In higher quality encoding, say 320kbps, that will hold in the neighborhood of 1,000 albums.

My 160 gb iPod is full, and my iTunes library is significantly larger than 160 gB. Consequently, the new stuff I add does not get added to my iPod any more, forcing me to carry around more CDs.

I just listen to the iPod in my car (living in Dallas, one drives alot).

I really don't hear much (if any) difference between the sound of a CD and the iPod listening in a car.

My 160 gb iPod is full, and my iTunes library is significantly larger than 160 gB. Consequently, the new stuff I add does not get added to my iPod any more, forcing me to carry around more CDs.

I really don't hear much (if any) difference between the sound of a CD and the iPod listening in a car.

Why not just switch albums out every now and then? Surely you don't need to carry around 1,000 with you daily, right?

Bigger than 160 GB?! Most computer hard drives weren't that big not so many years ago. How much storage are you looking for? In higher quality encoding, say 320kbps, that will hold in the neighborhood of 1,000 albums. My 160 gb iPod is full, and my iTunes library is significantly larger than 160 gB. Consequently, the new stuff I add does not get added to my iPod any more, forcing me to carry around more CDs.

Why not just switch albums out every now and then? Surely you don't need to carry around 1,000 with you daily, right?

Sure, I do that. I like having a very large portable database of music--the other week I listened to 197 consecutive Charlie Parker recordings, it was great.

I started with iPods a year after their inception. They were fun. I have a full iPod classic 160GB (about 28,000 tracks at mostly 128 kb). Often listen to it via my audio in shuffle or playlist mode. Fun. I have another 2nd generation iPod in pristine condition containing jazz only for when I want to focus on just one label or one artist and can't be bothered to shuffle handfuls of CD's. That's fun too. Right now I'm listening to Andrew Hill's 'Black Fire' on a Japanese King vinyl pressing. Immense fun. I'm cool with all of these formats.

So the BBC has learned that iPhones are out-selling iPods by a factor of 50 (my random number plucked out of thin air). Which means iPods have had their day. Yeah, well. OK.

I actually learned the trick to unfreeze my iPod Touch through simple trial and error. Luckily since it only has two buttons, the trial was short.

I went through a period where it would freeze about once every other month. But then, about a year ago, it just stopped freezing. Very bizarre. Only thing I can point to is that's when I stopped updating the iOS.

I have one, it was a necessity for me when we were living in both Austin AND Houston during the two years Helen battled lymphoma and mds. As soon as all that was over I used it in my office a few months before I retired. Then. . . I used it occasionally a few times a month for walking. That was my only form of "music on the go"--didn't have a car, don't listen to music on my motorcycle, didn't have a job or a cubicle or office.

Haven't used my iPod now in over a year. I moved from Texas nine months ago. . . and I haven't unpacked it since the move.

Edited by jazzbo

I have never been able to get over how tedious it is to load albums onto one of these things. Best I managed was a small $30 type of thing that held about 50 albums. It took me hours to load it up and I never bothered with it again.

That said, I do use my phone to stream music on Spotify very occasionally.

I've never owned one. A friend upgraded his a few years ago and offered me his old one—for $25. I laughed and spent the money on vinyl.

:D

My 160 Gb 'Classic' I-Pod's now getting long in the tooth too. Hardly ever use it these days - replaced in the car by a USB stick...

Edited by sidewinder