Death of the iPod (Everyone's buying vinyl)

A Lark Ascending

I've got 10 iPods!!!!! Took all but one on holiday with me. For the very reasons MG says - I don't know what I want to hear until I want to hear it.

Also use them constantly in the car on the work run, at work after classes are over and I'm working in the office, when out walking, in the garden and early in the morning so I can roam around the house without the danger of music leaking through the walls and disturbing the neighbours. And for hose cleaning...you can hear the music over the Hoover.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought an iPod Nano. I don't know if that model's been discontinued.

I like having a stand-alone music player because it doesn't fill up my phone's memory or use up it's battery life. Also, it's only about as big as a stick of gum and holds 1000s of tunes as well as an FM radio.

I also have a late-model Zune, which is actually quite good and not bad looking.

Unfortunately, it was discontinued a year or two ago and they stopped upgrading and supporting the software - and doesn't work in Windows 8. So, even though the player still works great, I can't upload tunes to it - making it useless in the future.

I also have a late-model Zune, which is actually quite good and not bad looking.

Unfortunately, it was discontinued a year or two ago and they stopped upgrading and supporting the software - and doesn't work in Windows 8. So, even though the player still works great, I can't upload tunes to it - making it useless in the future.

I can't speak to the Zune, but there are ways to repurpose old iPods and make them still useful. For example, my alarm clock has an older iPod connection. I use the TuneIn Radio app on that iPod, and am able to wake up to any radio station without static.

I can't speak to the Zune, but there are ways to repurpose old iPods and make them still useful. For example, my alarm clock has an older iPod connection. I use the TuneIn Radio app on that iPod, and am able to wake up to any radio station without static.

Somebody said that the Windows Media Player would work with the Zune, but I couldn't get it to recognize the device. It does have WiFi capability, but no Apps.

Noooohhhhh!

And what do they offer in exchange? An iphone you can wear on your wrist? That's going to make for some fun in the classroom.

now that they're being retired, there may well be a relative flood of them hitting ebay and secondhand shops and so on. that should allow you to stock up, hopefully on a steep discount. think of all the ipods that have been sitting around as the iphone has grown to replace it. however, you'll fill your shelves in the "before everyone realizes what they've done" phase (which reminds me of what it must have been like to be a crate digger when the compact disc was introduced).

Noooohhhhh!

And what do they offer in exchange? An iphone you can wear on your wrist? That's going to make for some fun in the classroom.

now that they're being retired, there may well be a relative flood of them hitting ebay and secondhand shops and so on. that should allow you to stock up, hopefully on a steep discount. think of all the ipods that have been sitting around as the iphone has grown to replace it. however, you'll fill your shelves in the "before everyone realizes what they've done" phase (which reminds me of what it must have been like to be a crate digger when the compact disc was introduced).

What a good idea. I could ramble on about how much better the iPod Classic was compared with .... whatever the most recent format happens to be.

So you can't even drag and drop in Windows Explorer?!

That's all I ever did with my old players.

I wish! The OS doesn't recognize the Zune at all.

Wow, brother. That's as lame as it gets.

I found this on the Microsoft support site, and wondered if you had tried it: " Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 actually kickstarted the Zune Installation."

Noooohhhhh!

What a good idea. I could ramble on about how much better the iPod Classic was compared with .... whatever the most recent format happens to be.

i find something attractive about the idea of dedicating a unit to a particular thing (say, a label, style, or family of artists). then again, perhaps that defeats the purpose of a variety show under one tent. in any case, i agree. it was dubbed a 'classic' for a reason.

I'm not a big phone guy. Don't want/need to be. So I liked the iPod classic. A lot.

Now, having said that, I do have Pandora & Live 365 on my phone, and like having them there. But that's all about listening to what somebody else programs, and if you get a phone call or a text or something, there that goes. For sheer lack of interruption, put the iPod in the pocket, leave the phone at home, and take a nice long walk out into another neighborhood and back. That's for me!

The only advantage the phone has for that over the iPod is that you have a "speaker" on the phone, so headphones are optional. Thus the transistor radio warmfuzzyflashback.

Still and all, fuck Apple. I know they do good work, but fuck 'em anyway. My wife just got an iPhone and yeah, it's all sleek and minimalistic and shit, but the whole Apple "intuitive" thing...hell it's nothing but a new set of reflexes to learn, and until you do, you lose time, lots of time. The phone is training the user. OTOH, I've got a older stoner buddy who is getting so jelloheaded that he needs his iPhone to set up a reminder that he needs to be home in ten minutes. That's not convenience, that's just enabling the addle-headed. Take heed, world.

Nevertheless, love my iPod, gonna rock it until it breaks.