Argentina's Playlist for Freedom

Excellent BBC World Service programme about the music that inspired those who grew up under the Argentinian dictatorship. I knew the Brazil story of music and politics but this was totally new to me:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s1qts

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Heard this too in the middle of a sleepless night. Really interesting.

Interesting counter to the 80's music we got in the UK and the misty eyed nostalgia for it.

Yes, I had the same problem. I tend to come awake at 4.00-ish and have the radio on all night. If something catches my attention then I'm glued.

You could just sense a dash of that 80s electro sound in some of those pieces but overall they seemed to be coming from somewhere else - folk musics and a more song based tradition like in Brazil or France.

The World Service seems to have cut back its music programmes considerably of late but you still get gems like this.

The World Service seems to have cut back its music programmes considerably of late but you still get gems like this.

It will only get worse, unfortunately. The very significant grant it currently gets from The Foreign Office is due to finish in April, after which the total cost of the operation will fall onto the BBC licence payers. I'm very pessimistic about its future.

It will only get worse, unfortunately. The very significant grant it currently gets from The Foreign Office is due to finish in April, after which the total cost of the operation will fall onto the BBC licence payers. I'm very pessimistic about its future.

So short-sighted. The blind obsession with market-driven models will see the World Service wither; yet could there be a better illustration of 'soft power'.

Excellent BBC World Service programme about the music that inspired those who grew up under the Argentinian dictatorship. I knew the Brazil story of music and politics but this was totally new to me:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01s1qts

Thanks for sharing.
Two days ago, I saw (again) a documentary about that dirty regime...