Clifford Brown with Zoot Sims "Jazz Immortal"

Tom 1960

41G97NG4E6L.jpg

Somehow I think this Brown led date with Zoot Sims and a bunch of West Coasters has escaped me till now. I'll have to double check the collection, but I think not. I happened to come across this at a local Bull Moose music store for a relatively cheap price, used. What can you guys tell me about the date? Should I pick it up?

If memory serves, these sessions were also reissued on the 4-cd "Clifford Brown: The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings." Don't know if that one is still available anywhere, but it's a wonderful set. Essential for Clifford Brown devotees.

gregmo

If memory serves, these sessions were also reissued on the 4-cd "Clifford Brown: The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings." Don't know if that one is still available anywhere, but it's a wonderful set. Essential for Clifford Brown devotees.

gregmo

With great sound, great photos, and great liner notes.

gregmo

Someone needing it should go get this one on ebay. It's in a different package than the one I have, mine's a double-wide disc thing in a slipcase, that one looks a little fancier. Terrific set.

gregmo

Someone needing it should go get this one on ebay. It's in a different package than the one I have, mine's a double-wide disc thing in a slipcase, that one looks a little fancier. Terrific set.

This is the one I have. Very nice design inside, great photos. It's a pain to actually get the CDs out, however. BN put out a similar package at the same time for Gerry Mulligan, but that went OOP in an instant.

Edited by mjzee

Oh, I strill remember how badly I wanted that Mulligan!

When Blue Note put out the 2CD set of the Original Quartet w/Chet I was so happy ... started piecing it all together, but the last bit (the Annie Ross album) only came my way via the Mosaic Select, a few years back.

But the Brownie set I did get - that "book" edition, it's indeed very nice ... and that west coast album came as the biggest surprise to me (I knew the Blakey material before, but none of the contents of discs one and two).

Oh, I strill remember how badly I wanted that Mulligan!

When Blue Note put out the 2CD set of the Original Quartet w/Chet I was so happy ... started piecing it all together, but the last bit (the Annie Ross album) only came my way via the Mosaic Select, a few years back.

But the Brownie set I did get - that "book" edition, it's indeed very nice ... and that west coast album came as the biggest surprise to me (I knew the Blakey material before, but none of the contents of discs one and two).

I also have missed the Mulligan set from 1995 and tried to gather its contents later on starting with that 2-cd set from Cuscuna's fabulous Pacific Jazz series.

I nearly would have got the Clifford Brown set but I remember that the case of the set in stock was damaged and changed my mind. I suppose it has both Blakey's Birdland discs, the Memorial record and this Pacific Jazz date with Zoot sims (all reissued later on in the RVG series). Does it include anything else? Thanks!

Edited by Alexandros

Yes, discs 3 and 4 contain the Blakey recordings, discs 1 and 2 the Blue Note and Pacific studio sessions ... not 100% what's on the Memorial Album (never had it outside of this box), but both the Donaldson/Brown and the Brown sessions are included (June 9 and August 28, 1953), as well as the J.J. Johnson session with Brownie. (I never got any of those on RVG CDs again ... had McMasters of the Birdland discs and gave them away ... guess the box is McMaster, too, but I'm at work right now and can't check).