Sonny Rollins: (When) will he play again?

fasstrack

Anybody have any info? His website has nothing on future touring, only info about Roadshows CDs. I don't know if he's practicing even. Recent articles alluded vaguely to a 'respiratory condition'. His public performing schedule seems to have ended before 2013, leading me to believe that this condition is pretty serious. Certainly he deserves a rest after years on the road, but if there's any way he could return to performing.....

Just wondering aloud.

Edited by fasstrack

Given what a critcal ear he has always had for his own playing, I doubt if he would consider performing in public again unless he felt his playing was back to the level he thinks it should be.

Given that he is 83 and has a "respiratory condition", it seems unlikely that he would get back to the level of playing that would satisfy himself.

Fortunately, it seems as though he should be financially secure and doesn't need to perform just to provide for himself. I hope he is able to play for his own fulfillment, if he so chooses, and may even hope that he would one day decide he is ready to perform in public again, but I'm not expecting that at all.

Sonny was supposed to play here in LA a year ago (April 20th, I believe), but had to cancel due to health reasons. I was so excited to know he was scheduled to play, and although I was bummed that he had to cancel, I fully respected that decision. I figured that was likely the last time I'd get to see Sonny play, and sadly that may be the case.

I'm just grateful to have seen him play live a few times, and hope he lives another 25 years in good health and enjoying life (whether he plays again or not).

Anyone know the last live gig he's played up until now?

There was a European tour and probably some stateside gigs in 2012. Early in 2013 it was announced on his website that all performances through June of that year were cancelled. A later announcement cancelled dates after that. No word since.

There was a European tour and probably some stateside gigs in 2012. Early in 2013 it was announced on his website that all performances through June of that year were cancelled. A later announcement cancelled dates after that. No word since.

The last London performance got excellent reviews, sold out well in advance of course and the BBC did a fine documentary with concert footage around that time.

Edited by sidewinder

[

The last London performance got excellent reviews, sold out well in advance of course and the BBC did a fine documentary with concert footage around that time.

Any links?

Here's at least part of this programme. I suspect that it will be rep[eated on BBC4 sometime over the next year or two..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVy_OzvmlJ8