Ace records top of the class for service (with Mosaic)

I've been ripping a lot of CDs to my hard drives lately and, when doing all my Soul Stirrers CDs found 'Jesus gave me water' wouldn't work; it was really well bronzed.

So I wrote to Ace and told them - bit of a cheek, really, as I bought the CD (new) early in 1994! But I knew they were doing some downloads and wondered if this might be available that way.

I got a nice response -

This CD is long deleted, but we had a spare copy in our library. I have opened it to check for bronzing and it seems OK.

If you can send me your address I will post it to you.

Isn't that nice?

So I did, and got the CD the other day. Well it was a it bronzed but didn't look as bad as mine. But it wouldn't rip on my PC without lots of extraneous noises. I tried it on my Sony discmaker thing I use for ripping from K7s and it came through all right, but missed the gaps between some tracks. It did this at random, so I tried it several times over a day and a half and finally assembled the complete CD on my hard drive.

So, thanks Ace!

MG

They might have been made in that pressing plant that did a lot for Hyperion - something in the lacquer used to print info onto the disc got into the disc itself. A lot of Hyperion discs from the late-80s to early 90s suffered that way. I think I had a dozen or so.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/bronzed.asp

I've never had any other problem with CDs despite the scare stories in the 80s of CDs decomposing after 10 years.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I have one Ace CD from that time period that's bronzed (though still playable), a Big Mama Thornton CD. Overall though, Ace has always struck me as a company that strived to do it right. Their LPs were beautifully pressed and mastered. And their CDs usually had very good sound. Most importantly, they provided listeners with hours and hours and hours of great music that otherwise might have remained in the vaults, unlistened to.

I agree that Ace service is fine but your story is giving me the creeps. I have quite a few Ace CDs from around that time and would hate to see them disintegrate and become unplayable now (so far they play fine). Guess I will have to check if ripping/CD-R'ing still works alright.

Yeah, I tried ripping a few that looked that way. The Mar-Keys twofer was fine, so was the 2fer of the Soul Children. But Johnny Lytle's 'Loop/New & Groovy' didn't work. Fortunately, I found them on a blog.

Looks like bronzing isn't 100% certain either way.

MG

I have one Ace CD from that time period that's bronzed (though still playable), a Big Mama Thornton CD. Overall though, Ace has always struck me as a company that strived to do it right. Their LPs were beautifully pressed and mastered. And their CDs usually had very good sound. Most importantly, they provided listeners with hours and hours and hours of great music that otherwise might have remained in the vaults, unlistened to.

I agree 100%, Paul.

I've been a fan of their music since 1981, when I found this

R-2347223-1278589058.jpeg

Oscar McLollie & his Honey Jumpers - Roll hot rod, roll - an Ace 10" LP - 10CH27, just out. Well, I didn't buy it for the cover or the name of the artist, but because I had a 78 of 'Honey jump', included in the LP. But anyone issuing 10" LPs of stuff like that in the early 80s, you've just GOT to be interested in. They do take chances, don't they? Who would want this? Maybe I was the only one :g

MG

Had a similar problem with a Jackie Wilson best of that I remember buying in John Menzies on Princes Street in Edinburgh in about 1990 (the one you can see Ewan McGregor running from in Trainspotting)!

Similarly sent it back with a nice note talking of my disappointment that it had decomposed and was sent another by return! I didn't expect another copy but excellent service, you're right. Its a great Jackie Wilson comp too!

Pretty sure I have a copy of Johnny Lytle's 'Loop/New & Groovy' which I picked up for £1. Yours if you want it and I'll pass on the good feeling about Ace!

I agree 100%, Paul.

I've been a fan of their music since 1981, when I found this

R-2347223-1278589058.jpeg

Oscar McLollie & his Honey Jumpers - Roll hot rod, roll - an Ace 10" LP - 10CH27, just out. Well, I didn't buy it for the cover or the name of the artist, but because I had a 78 of 'Honey jump', included in the LP. But anyone issuing 10" LPs of stuff like that in the early 80s, you've just GOT to be interested in. They do take chances, don't they? Who would want this? Maybe I was the only one :g

MG

I was interested in 10" LPs back then. I have one or two Ace 10" Little Willie Littlefields.

Had a similar problem with a Jackie Wilson best of that I remember buying in John Menzies on Princes Street in Edinburgh in about 1990 (the one you can see Ewan McGregor running from in Trainspotting)!

Similarly sent it back with a nice note talking of my disappointment that it had decomposed and was sent another by return! I didn't expect another copy but excellent service, you're right. Its a great Jackie Wilson comp too!

Pretty sure I have a copy of Johnny Lytle's 'Loop/New & Groovy' which I picked up for £1. Yours if you want it and I'll pass on the good feeling about Ace!

No thanks Fent99 - I've got 'em on my hard drive now, which is fine for the home for the ageing incompetent, when (if) I get there :D

MG