BFT 123 reveal

Tom in RI

1. Jovino Santos Neto, Aquelas Coisas Todas (All of Those Things) from Veja O Som See the Sound, Adventure Music AM 1063 2. Santos – piano, Davide Sanchez – tenor. Lon mentioned this on one of the more recent pages of the Suggest me some Brazilian thread.Its a two disc set of duets, one recorded in the US and one in Brazil. Each track features a different guest with Santos.

2. Jack Mouse Group, LaPorta from Range of Motion, Origin Records 82633. Scott Robinson – tenor, Art Davis – Trumpet, John McLean – guitar, Kelly Sill – bass, Mouse – drums. I only recognized Scott Robinson and John McLean when I picked this up. One thing I really liked about this was the Take the Coltrane quote in the tenor solo.

3. Eric Hofbauer and the Infrared Band, These Two Things from Level, Creative Nation Music CNM 020. Hofbauer – guitar, Kelly Roberge – tenor, Sean Farias – bass, Miki Matsuki – drums. This disc has really grown on me. I can see where it can strike people as cold but it just speaks to me and I really dig Kelly Roberge. I picked a disc of solo music by Hofbauer, American Grace, that I also am taking a liking to.

4. Ryan Keberle, Something Speaking from Double Quartet, Alternate Side Records ASR 002. Ryan Keberle – trombone, Adam Birnbaum – piano, Matt Brewer – Bass, Brad Wentworth – drums, Michael Rodriguez – trumpet, Chris Komer – French horn, Marshall Gilkes – trombone, Jose Davila – tuba. A little out of my ordinary as I usually prefer reeds. I like the sound this band gets.

5. The Dizzy Gillespie Alumni All Stars, Ole from Dizzy’s World Shanachie 5060. Jon Faddis – trumpet, Don Braden – tenor, Mulgrew Miller – piano, John Lee – bass, Ignacio Berroa – drums, Chuck Loeb – guiter. The surprise for me here is Chuck Loeb on guitar.

6. Sahib Shihab, Di-Da from & Sahib Shihab the Danish Radio Jazz Group, Octav OKCD 1111. Bent Jaedig – tenor, Palle Mikkelborg – trumpet, Sahib Shihab – baritone. This is a date I knew about but hadn’t heard prior to its recent release on cd (2008). You know how you sometimes build records up in your mind and then you hear it and it doesn’t live up to your expectations? Well, for me this one lived up to expectations.

7. Alex Harding and Blutopia, Spirit Take My Hand from The Calling, Jazzaway Records JARCD 017. Harding – baritone, Lucian Ban – piano, Brad Jones – bass, Nasheet Waita – drums. I have a thing for baritone. This disc can get a little outside at points.

8. Barry Elmes Quintet, The Reincarnation of Ratboy from Redshift, Cornerstone Records CRST CD 137. Elmes – drums, Mike Murley – tenor, Kevin Turcotte – trumpet, Reg Schwager – guitar, Steve Wallce –n bass, Vanessa Redgrave – organ, Kelly Jefferson – flute. In the last few years I have been listening to several guys from Canada. This disc is one of those that I play all the way through. I will likely pick up more by Elmes.

9. Alan Ferber, Fables from Music for Nonet and Strings/Chamber Songs, Sunnyside SSC1254, Ferber – trombone, Scott Wendholt – trumpet, Jon Gordon – alto, John Ellis – tenor, Douglas Yates – bass clarinet, Nate Ridley – guitar, Bryn Roberts – piano, Matt Clohesy – bass, Mark Ferber – drums plus a 9 piece string section. I am definitely going to pick the other Nonet cd’s by Ferber.

10. Jim Alfredson, Along Came John from Dirty Fingers a Tribute to Big John Patton, Big O Records 2418. - Alfredson – organ, Randy Gelispie – drums, Ralph Tope – guitar, Dwight Adams – Vibes, Mark Kieme – tenor. Hey, my name is on this production!

11. Marty Ehrlich’s Traveler’s Tales, Rhymes from Malinke’s Dance, Omnitone 12003. Ehrlich – alto, Tony Malaby – tenor, Jerome Harris – bass, Bobby Previte – drums.

So, thanks everyone for playing.

Edited by Tom in RI

No wonder I could not identify the musicians or recordings. I have learned a lot here, including an introduction to several artists I want to check out. I have the album for #11, but did not remember it.

#5 is a surprise to me. I have not perceived Jon Faddis as being the type of soloist he is here. That is one album I have never heard and now want to check out.

7. Alex Harding and Blutopia, Spirit Take My Hand from The Calling, Jazzaway Records JARCD 017. Harding – baritone, Lucian Ban – piano, Brad Jones – bass, Nasheet Waita – drums. I have a thing for baritone. This disc can get a little outside at points.

I downloaded this album from Amazon soon after you sent me a PM with the details. Damn good all the way through. Not TOO far outside and generally welcoming the listener in.

I see Mr Harding has done some kinda mainstream work, too, and might try some of this in a while.

I'm really glad to have heard this. Thank you.

MG

I actually saw Alex Harding live a few months ago--a very large man and quite impressive on baritone sax--he plays in Francisco Mora Catlett's group Afro Horn.

The latest Afro Horn release: http://www.amazon.com/AfroHorn-Rare-Metal-Francisco-Mora-Catlett/dp/B0063TXAD6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404302148&sr=8-3&keywords=Francisco+Mora+Catlett