Paul Dunmall 50 CD set from FMR

Against the grain of the collapsing CD market, FMR, who seem somehow to issue more CDs than anyone can count let alone buy, are issuing what I suppose is their complete Paul Dunmall back catalog on 50 CDs Paul is great and probably underestimated. This set is not for me - I'm feeling sick of CDs - but at 99 UKP plus shipping from the FMR website it might interest somebody...

I thought it was a limited run that sold out on release some time ago. It was certainly about last year and maybe before that. Maybe it didn't sell out or have they reissued it?

Maybe you're right. I saw it on the website and there is a buy button. The website might not be up to date.

I thought it was a limited run that sold out on release some time ago. It was certainly about last year and maybe before that. Maybe it didn't sell out or have they reissued it?

Maybe you're right. I saw it on the website and there is a buy button. The website might not be up to date.

More likely I got it wrong and it never sold out. 50Cds you've got to love Dunmall to go there - I like him and I've 10+ already and that'll suffice I think

I have it as well. Overwhelming in quantity, yet great listening. There's that blog site that has released (apparently with Dunmall's permission) another 40-50 sessions.

Not that I'm a greedy freeloader or anything, but can you direct me to that site please? Assuming it's legal, of course.

I remember seeing him with a relatively conventional post-bop group, Spirit Level in the 80s.

Seen him a number of times over the years, most impressively with Keith Tippett's Mujician band. Now that was special.

I would have enjoyed seeing that! As it is, I saw him do a long border pipe solo (can't remember when) that was memorable, as was his performance with Henry Grimes and Andrew Cyrille at a Vision Festival (2008 IIRC).

I remember seeing him with a relatively conventional post-bop group, Spirit Level in the 80s.

Seen him a number of times over the years, most impressively with Keith Tippett's Mujician band. Now that was special.

Saw that 'Spirit Level' band with Dunmall led by pianist Tim Richards in the 1980s too. Bristol based, I recall.

Most recent was that Grimes/Cyrille lineup.

Edited by sidewinder

Saw that 'Spirit Level' band with Dunmall led by pianist Tim Richards in the 1980s too. Bristol based, I recall.

Most recent was that Grimes/Cyrille lineup.

At Cheltenham? I was at that one, finished mid solo as they ran out of time

Mujician at The Vortex a few weeks before the death of Tony Levin - magnificent. I wonder whether Mujician might continue with Marsh's drummer son Miles

The last time I saw Dunmall was with Grimes in the Pillar Room at Cheltenham - think we were all in the same room!

Remember seeing him do the bagpipe thing on one of those Friday night for Radio 3 broadcasts (Alex H. was on the same bill...it was a bit like one of those early 60s multi-artist shows that used to tour the provinces).

Along with Evan Parker, Tony Levin and Paul Rogers he cleared the main tent in double quick time at Appleby in the mid-noughties! Overturned mobility scooters, discarded zimmer frames everywhere.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Along with Evan Parker, Tony Levin and Paul Rogers he cleared the main tent in double quick time at Appleby in the mid-noughties! Overturned mobility scooters, discarded zimmer frames everywhere.

I thought overturned mobility scooters and discarded zimmer frames was more of a Swanage thing..

Frantic stampede to the beer-stand and CD stall? :D

Edited by sidewinder

What! There are people who don't like the pipes?? :rolleyes: I can't believe it. I'm disappointed when he shows up for a concert with only his tenor.

No bagpipes. It was just the thought of free jazz. The Freezone used to happen in a separate venue but there was always a Saturday afternoon spot for Evan in the main tent. The scramble for the cream teas always started the moment the last note of the previous set ended. You'd end up with just 20 or 30 people.

Sidewinder wrote:

I thought overturned mobility scooters and discarded zimmer frames was more of a Swanage thing..

Frantic stampede to the beer-stand and CD stall? :D

I suspect its the same the same people. Look out for the 'Bird Lives' and 'Stan Kenton is better than Wagner' stickers on the frames.

Having said that, I'll normally do a runner if the next act promises 'hip-hop attitude', 'contemporary beats' or 'punk sensibility'.

Edited by A Lark Ascending