Upcoming Eddie Condon from MOSAIC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: James P. Johnson, Scott once told me (not *that* long ago) that Mosaic can't combine material licensed by Universal (Decca) with stuff from Sony (RCA/Columbia). I'm pretty sure that was in response to my bugging him for a 60s Hodges Verve set and suggesting he could combine them with the Hodges/Davis RCA sessions. One or the other of those companies won't allow it (I think it was Universal--memory fails), so I don't think they'd be able to put out both the Deccas and Columbias in one set.

gregmo

According to Hans (J.A.W.) elsewhere it will be 8 cds. He is also reporting a 10 cd "Modern Jazz on Dial" set.

What does a "Modern Jazz on Dial" set mean? I gather that was a label? When? Who was on it?

I've got the 10CD set of the "Complete Dial Masters" that was put out on Spotlight/Toshiba-EMI back in 1995 or so (TOCJ-0001 to TOCJ-0010). Here's a rough breakdown of what is on that release (these are the names on each disc):

CD 1 – Red Norvo All-Stars (12 tracks, 43:47)

CD 2 – Dizzy Gillespie & Modern Trumpets I / Charlie Parker Septet (19 tracks, 54:37)

CD 3 – Charlie Parker Quintet / Night Music by Howard McGhee / Woody Herman Woodchoppers (21 tracks, 65:59)

CD 4 – Charlie Parker Home Cooking Session / Charlie Parker Quartet / Erroll Garner Trio (24 tracks, 62:12)

CD 5 – Charlie Parker All-Stars / Saxophone Moods by Dexter Gordon (16 tracks, 47:24)

CD 6 – Cocktail Time by Erroll Garner (11 tracks, 34:02)

CD 7 – The Chase by Dexter Gordon & Wardell Gray Quintet / Charlie Parker Quintet (21 tracks, 66:41)

CD 8 – Charlie Parker Quintet / James Moody & His Saxophone (21 tracks, 64:41)

CD 9 – Piano Moods by Dodo Marmarosa / The Duel by Dexter Gordon & Wardell Gray (18 tracks, 60:49)

CD 10 – Charlie Parker Sextet / Dizzy Gillespie & Modern Trumpets II (22 tracks, 60:08)

Some of these discs are a bit short on time, so I can't see Mosiac just replicating these 10 CDs in their set. If there's more than this, I can't wait to get it!

The Norvo's that date with Diz and Bird, right? Or is there more?

Guess then the Marmarosa tracks are the only ones that escape me in their entirety ... (the Garner as well, but I'm definitely not a Garner completist).

Hm. Let's wait and see. Seing this get the Mosaic treatment may indeed be a treat, but then.

here's a decent discography of the Dial label (including the non US artists - Blue Star etc)

http://www.jazzdisco.org/dial-records/discography-1943-1951/

Many thanks for posting this, romualdo! I'm pretty sure most of the Blue Star material has been reissued on the Verve Gitanes Jazz in Paris series, hasn't it? And Vogue reissued the Bechet material a few years ago. My guess is that Mosaic would stick to stuff that Dial actually recorded rather than material it licensed from other labels, and given the fact that the Parker things have been reissued several times, I wonder if those would be included? Still, there are some interesting things in there!

gregmo

Re: "Jazz in Paris", yes, seems so (Byas, Tyree Glenn, Moody, Django...) - not sure about the Rex Stewart dates (Dec 8-10, 1947)

Not sure about the Vogue date by Buck Clayton (Oct 10, 1949) either - hasn't been part of any of the Original Vogue Masters discs - was it included on one of the earlier generations of Vogue reissues? Same for the Hines (Nov 4 & 6, 1949) and Willie "The Lion" Smith (Jan 29, 1950) - don't know those recordings, I think.

(date for Clayton session fixed - thx Steve!)

Edited by king ubu

Re: "Jazz in Paris", yes, seems so (Byas, Tyree Glenn, Moody, Django...) - not sure about the Rex Stewart dates (Dec 8-10, 1947)

Not sure about the Vogue date by Buck Clayton (Oct 1, 1949) either - hasn't been part of any of the Original Vogue Masters discs - was it included on one of the earlier generations of Vogue reissues? Same for the Hines (Nov 4 & 6, 1949) and Willie "The Lion" Smith (Jan 29, 1950) - don't know those recordings, I think.

I have the Buck Clayton session (rec. on Oct. 10, 1949, BTW) on THREE vinyl reissues:

1) Part of it on "Buck" (Jazz Selection LDM 30.021)

2) All of it on "Buck's Mood" (Vogue DP.73 double album), and

3) All of it again on "Buck Clayton / "Jazz Tracks" (Bellaphon BJS 40181)

If you are desperate for this session you han have #3 cheaply (its contents are all on #2 too so it is in my duplicates/sale/trade bin). :D

No doubt there are more reissues.

I also have the entire Dec. 8-10, 1947 sessions by Rex Stewart on "Rex in Paris 1947-1948" (Barclay 80.972/80.973 2-LP set)

as well as part of it on the Jazz Legend label (Jazz Legend No. 6) - surplus to me too, so you can have that Jazz Legend LP too if you want to. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Not sure about the Vogue date by Buck Clayton (Oct 1, 1949) either - hasn't been part of any of the Original Vogue Masters discs - was it included on one of the earlier generations of Vogue reissues? Same for the Hines (Nov 4 & 6, 1949) and Willie "The Lion" Smith (Jan 29, 1950) - don't know those recordings, I think.

I have the Buck Clayton session (rec. on Oct. 10, 1949, BTW) on THREE vinyl reissues:

1) Part of it on "Buck" (Jazz Selection LDM 30.021)

2) All of it on "Buck's Mood" (Vogue DP.73 double album), and

3) All of it again on "Buck Clayton / "Jazz Tracks" (Bellaphon BJS 40181)

If you are desperate for this session you han have #3 cheaply (its contents are all on #2 too so it is in my duplicates/sale/trade bin). :D

No doubt there are more reissues.

I also have the entire Dec. 8-10, 1947 sessions by Rex Stewart on "Rex in Paris 1947-1948" (Barclay 80.972/80.973 2-LP set)

as well as part of it on the Jazz Legend label (Jazz Legend No. 6) - surplus to me too, so you can have that Jazz Legend LP too if you want to. ;)

Thx, but I'm not really looking for those right now (and would prefer CD). Have enough Buck Clayton (including the Mosaic - vinyl btw - which is pretty wonderful) and am not really conviced by all of Stewart's leader sessions I've heard so far (though I think he's got some on the H.R.S. label which should be fine - and obviously I enjoy his contributions to Ellington's band).

That would likely be just the jazz stuff that's owned by Spotlite, correct?

I wonder, who, if anybody, owns the classical stuff?

Not relevant to the immediate subject at hand, granted, but considering time/place/person/etc. the sudden awareness (for me) of this other world of Dial is kinda eye-popping/mind-bending...I mean, think about it - if that Bird/Varese collaboration was to have ever come about, the most logical label for it - not taking into account the real-world business facts - would have been Dial!

Again, Dial! with the emphasis on !.

There's a recent article about Dial's classical recordings - but I don't have access via my university log-in, just tried various ways ... if anyone can, drop me a not privately please!

HOEK, D. J.: Beyond Bebop: Dial Records and the Library of Contemporary Classics, in: ARSC Journal (Association for Recorded Sound Collections). 2013;44(1): pp. 70-98.

Abstract:
Renowned for its recordings of Charlie Parker and other bebop artists, Dial Records holds a prominent place in jazz history. But upon Parker's departure from the label in 1948, Ross Russell, Dial's owner, took the company in another direction by turning from jazz to modern classical music. At a time when few classical labels were presenting contemporary repertoire, Dial's Library of Contemporary Classics, a series of eighteen long-playing albums issued from 1949 to 1951, featured works by Arnold Schoenberg and other twentieth-century composers, introducing listeners to an array of striking new sounds. While today Dial's bebop recordings are prized by collectors and studied by must- cians and scholars, the classical series is largely forgotten, though it constitutes another important part of Dial's history and legacy.

An abbreviated version of this article was presented at the ARSC Annual Conference in Rochester, New York, on 19 May 2012.

There's a recent article about Dial's classical recordings - but I don't have access via my university log-in, just tried various ways ... if anyone can, drop me a not privately please!

HOEK, D. J.: Beyond Bebop: Dial Records and the Library of Contemporary Classics, in: ARSC Journal (Association for Recorded Sound Collections). 2013;44(1): pp. 70-98.

Abstract:

Renowned for its recordings of Charlie Parker and other bebop artists, Dial Records holds a prominent place in jazz history. But upon Parker's departure from the label in 1948, Ross Russell, Dial's owner, took the company in another direction by turning from jazz to modern classical music. At a time when few classical labels were presenting contemporary repertoire, Dial's Library of Contemporary Classics, a series of eighteen long-playing albums issued from 1949 to 1951, featured works by Arnold Schoenberg and other twentieth-century composers, introducing listeners to an array of striking new sounds. While today Dial's bebop recordings are prized by collectors and studied by must- cians and scholars, the classical series is largely forgotten, though it constitutes another important part of Dial's history and legacy.

An abbreviated version of this article was presented at the ARSC Annual Conference in Rochester, New York, on 19 May 2012.

That would be a "Killer" Mosaic set IMHO - would they attempt something like this? - does their mission statement include "C20 classical"

original LP covers by David Stone Martin

Edited by romualdo

I was in contact with Ross Russell in the mid '70s when the Spotlites were being issued. He claimed to own, and have the masters for the classical material. We were working towards me repressing these recordings and suddenly Ross disappeared. He was busy dealing in Krugerrands at the time.

We were exchanging records at the time - he was intrigued by Von Freeman.