Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to shell out, sure. But you could get a lot of the rest elsewhere, cheaper.

Of the non-Parker stuff, what do you think is the best, and where would one get it?

Who would be able to answer THAT adequately, not knowing your tastes and preferences in every detail?

Dexter Gordon is fine, Howard McGhee is fine, Sonny Berman is fine, Dodo Marmarosa is fine, The Hermanites are fine, etc. etc.

The Dexter Gordon and Dodo Marmarosa tracks may be most "seminal" ones in certain repsects but all of them deserve exploring by anybody interested in the classics of bebop jazz. Impossible to choose (select) really by way of recommendation.

I

If you want to shell out, sure. But you could get a lot of the rest elsewhere, cheaper.

Of the non-Parker stuff, what do you think is the best, and where would one get it?

Who would be able to answer THAT adequately, not knowing your tastes and preferences in every detail?

Dexter Gordon is fine, Howard McGhee is fine, Sonny Berman is fine, Dodo Marmarosa is fine, The Hermanites are fine, etc. etc.

The Dexter Gordon and Dodo Marmarosa tracks may be most "seminal" ones in certain repsects but all of them deserve exploring by anybody interested in the classics of bebop jazz. Impossible to choose (select) really by way of recommendation.

I

Because it is boring for me to tell you what my tastes are. I already know my tastes. I know what I like. I want to know what I don't know I like.

I want to know what I don't know I like.

How is anybody ELSE to know in order to tell YOU? ;)

We all have the discographies to check what there is to start with ...

Seriously ... I, for example, knew all along I like 40s bebop so anything by the artists from that field and falling into that time bracket has always been a safe bet for me and whatever I wasn't able to hear beforehand I bought unheard and just just going by the artist(s) and recording dates and cannot say I have been disappointed anywhere.

But that's a decision to be made by everyone himself. Because I was prepared to go all out in the field of 40s bebop (to an extent I would not have cared to do in 50s/early 60s hard bop, for example). but how is anybody to know how far anybody ELSE is prepared to go? Pretty much impossible to guide anybody SAFELY, then.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Of course. And I did. But it still remains that what is best to one fan of the music isn't necessarily best to another one. Preferences do differ so if you don't know somebody else's precise preferences ... ?

That was (and still is) my point. Particularly in this case where the style and quality of the sessions are so close together in every respect.

In short, IMHO the only appropriate answer to such a question is: If you have not only gone to the trouble of getting all the Bird on Dial for BIrd's sake but if you have got it because you truly are into bebop, then get ALL the other bebop sessins on Dial too. They merit it all.

Of course I realize there may be some inadvertent Crow Jim going on in such discussions or recommendations, based on the premise of "bebop is black music so McGhee got to be vastly superior to Berman", but honestly, I for one don't buy into this.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

been busy listening to my various DIals; including boots, stuff from odd Euro lables, Fresh sound, etc. Will Probably stick with what I got until I can hear something actually issued. I hate to deal with returns. The Sonny Berman stuff is some of my favorites, too. Will have to see.

That seems like a reasonable attitude.

I want to know what I don't know I like.

How is anybody ELSE to know in order to tell YOU? ;)

This is why I buy stuff based on the people whose opinions I trust saying something is interesting. Usually their tastes jibe with mine; sometimes they don't and I'm in for a (usually positive) surprise. So don't "tell" me anything, just keep talking about cool stuff and I'll find out. People like Allen Lowe, Paul Secor, Chuck, Jeff Crompton and sidewinder Bob have been great in helping me and others find out about artists we've never heard before.

Yes, so do I - if I hear people (whose tastes I know to be similar to mine) talk about stuff that arouses my curiosity. Has cost me a bundle just reading here through the years ... :g

Let's not make too big a fuss about that above statement anyway - I was just puzzled about how I was to give anybody a recommendation if I don't even know in which direction his tastes actually run. ;)

And like I said earlier - in the case of the bebop output on Dial (beyond Bird) I'd find it really hard to clearly rate any one recording/leader much above the others.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 1 month later...