Mosaic Dial set coming soon

miles65

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the notes that are part of the set's discography?:

Producer's Note:

On The Complete Dial Modern Jazz Sessions, Steve Marlowe has used a system he calls Bit Density Processing which performs miracles on the music at hand. Suddenly, one can hear Charlie Parker or Dexter Gordon or Miles Davis in full, rich clarity. The rhythm sections, all but buried on the original 78s, are completely audible and in balance.

This system allows us to hear more of what was on Dial's original 1946-48 recordings and later transfers. Unfortunately, that sometimes means retrieving the bad with the good. On some tracks, a whooshing effect can be heard in the cymbals or in a background kind of surface noise, which is actually the wow and flutter of the original transfers. We think these issues are a small price to pay for the revelatory sound of this important music.

Our thanks to Jonathan Horwich who introduced us to Steve and who oversaw the whole restoration and mastering process.

- Michael Cuscuna

We have developed new processing to better reduce the distortion on these discs...For example, Miles's muted trumpet throughout the last half of the C take of "Out Of Nowhere" - virtually all notes were distorted. We can now actually see the distortion wave forms and process just those, note by note, improving their tonality. No EQ or tricks. We literally get rid of much of it, leaving the pure note intact. Similarly, on the Dodo Marmarosa trio sessions, the pieces were very often distorted on each note.

Going note-by-note, we are now able to restore the performance to a degree not previously possible. And so much better than the various high-end noise software, all of which we have found to be entirely unacceptable because they alter rather than restore.. We've been very careful to not induce sonic artifacts. The idea is that with the great improvement in tonality and fidelity one can hear and enjoy the music as never before.

But there may be some trade-offs. When the music is all tinny and thin and totally buried, and when all the surface noise is covering it up, you don't hear what's really there. Sometimes the cymbals and noises have tremendous wow and flutter. In the process of simply hearing more and hearing better what is on the tapes, these flaws will be more audible.

-Steve Marlowe

hmmmm.....nonsense, if you ask me. It's more likely to be an artifact from the software, an additive distortion. Personally I would find this unacceptable. Also - if these were from disc sources, would they even have wow and flutter? I thought that was a tape thing. Though apparently they can occur with older turntable systems. This really sounds fishy.

also - "the various high-end noise software, all of which we have found to be entirely unacceptable because they alter rather than restore.."

well, if the swishing was not there before - and I have never heard It - these things have been altered. This is really -- bad.

Edited by AllenLowe

Well, Marlowe used this processing on the Carter-Bradford Mosaic Select which sounds great and I don't hear artifacts there. Also used on International Phonography reissues which sound artifact free and excellent. So I'm expecting great sound to be honest.

Edited by jazzbo

well - they've already said there are problems - the swooshing. This doesn't mean it's a bad system - CEDAR is incredible, but it can be destructive, and that's the point at which you have to handle it differently.

But the "problem" is that it reveals what's on the recording (according to them). I'm not dissing it til I hear it that's all, you seem to have prejudged it as being awful.

well, what they are saying is completely false - that kind of swooshing is not the kind of thing masked by other noise. It's some kind of phases-type of artifact; maybe. But I agree, let us see. I just don't think they've been very straightforward about this issue.

Edited by AllenLowe

Okay, I just saw two tracks by title. I don't know where my Chaloff cd set is at the moment, do know where the lp set is. But I may not have the time to be the first or second to make a comparison.

I did get my shipping notice today.

By the way, in private correspondence I've beent told there's no "software" involved in this processing.

Edited by jazzbo