Alvin Curran

Ligeti

I am sure most of you know of Alvin Curran, he being one fo the founding members of Musica Electronica Viva with Frederic Rzwski, Teitelbaum, and Elliiot Carter.

I wonder if I might recommend two release from his later work for your consideration.

While I have 7 or 8 CD's by Curran, the two I go back to the most are there:

71-pXOPi0rL._SL1204_.jpg

This is a four disc set. Each CD is essentailly solo piano, played wonderfully by Daan Vandewalle. Four CD's, and almost 5 hours of solo piano might seem a lot to dive into, but it's very much worthwhile. This isn't actually one pieces, but 12 pieces that grown over time. The styles change, sometimes strident sometimes melancholy. It never fades into nothing though, and Curran's writing has perhaps never been better. It also benefits from aggressive pricing, so you shouldn't find it hurts your wallet too much. The accompanying booklet has a wonderful reminisce of being in New York, along with a short piece on the inspiration for the various segments - but the real beauty is in the notes.

The other Curran to look out for is:

51A3nrbdECL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This one is really terrific. The basic concept started with Curran making a radio show where he travelled the Eastern Seaboard, recording the sound of fog horns, lighthouses, ships, and even interviews with locals. Next he invited artists to come in and improvise over his recordings. These include one piece each from Steve Lacy, George Lewis and Leo Smith, plus fellow composers Pauline Oliveros, among others. It's really captivating, and has that little bit of "difference" that makes you want to go back and hear it again one more time.

Curran has of course done alot of different works - but these two are probably the best of what I've heard..... well until the next time I play another of his CD's. :Dcover.gif

I am sure most of you know of Alvin Curran, he being one fo the founding members of Musica Electronica Viva with Frederic Rzwski, Teitelbaum, and Elliiot Carter...

Interesting thread. I've only heard a little of Curran (on compilations), have heard lots of Rzewski (including live) and a little Teitelbaum live.

I don't want to nitpick, but was Elliott Carter really involved in the founding of MEV? I find that very hard to believe!

I am sure most of you know of Alvin Curran, he being one fo the founding members of Musica Electronica Viva with Frederic Rzwski, Teitelbaum, and Elliiot Carter.

I wonder if I might recommend two release from his later work for your consideration.

While I have 7 or 8 CD's by Curran, the two I go back to the most are there:

71-pXOPi0rL._SL1204_.jpg

This is a four disc set. Each CD is essentailly solo piano, played wonderfully by Daan Vandewalle. Four CD's, and almost 5 hours of solo piano might seem a lot to dive into, but it's very much worthwhile. This isn't actually one pieces, but 12 pieces that grown over time. The styles change, sometimes strident sometimes melancholy. It never fades into nothing though, and Curran's writing has perhaps never been better. It also benefits from aggressive pricing, so you shouldn't find it hurts your wallet too much. The accompanying booklet has a wonderful reminisce of being in New York, along with a short piece on the inspiration for the various segments - but the real beauty is in the notes.

For those inclined to check this out, the whole boxset shebang is available on emusic for $5.99 (for subscribers).

Part II of Songs and Views From The Magnetic Garden.We hear tapes(water sounds),kalimba, synth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1wGzJXllPo

I heard this on a podcast today, and...I dunno. Very impressive vision, but the content seems kinda noodle-y to me, like safe, like it would sound like that no matter what, where, or how. The only real dynamics come from addition or subtraction of texture, not from inside a line itself. Blame it on the technology, maybe.

Nevertheless, seems like a fertile enough mind. Might be into checking out something else that's less bound to the technology, see what happens there.