Milestones

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 3:17 AM, mikeweil said:

41YH148GQTL.jpg

There are some more of this band on his preceding Verve LP, and on another Riverside LP. Plus some live tracks from a TV show.

FWIW, the Fresh sound reissue adds some of these as a bonus. Very nice relaxed music, Herbie had a comfortable feel on the instrument, but never again picked it up after these recordings, AFAIK.

OK, how the hell is this the very first I'm ever hearing of this album?  I'm a fairly big fan of bass clarinet (have been for 25 years), and I would have thought I'd crossed paths with this thing at some point.  Of course, doesn't help that Herbie Mann isn't a name I see in the bins all that much (not that I'm usually ever looking for him, I'll admit)

Gotta check this one out.

I don't know what there is to prove...he was a very competent player who had no compunctions about following the marketplace wherever it lead. Sometimes that was delightful, sometimes dreadful. But he always kept good bands and promoted from within. Not everybody ddid/does.

And he sold a buttload - not just a regular buttload, but a BIGASS buttload of records in his lifetime. People who didn't buy them then won't buy them now, and people who are suspicious of success won't be motivated. But I like the guy for what he was - a competent craftsman who had a knack for presentation and worked with that instead of resisting it. I like a good popular jazzmusic as well as a good challenging one. In a perfect world, you get both in the same place, but how long has this world been a perfect one?

And truthfully, I liked him best when he more or less just played the melody. Like Eddie Harris, he was very good at that (although unlike Eddie Harris, he didn't have fifty bajillion extra levers of gears to go to). I have some Herbie Mann records, and feel good about it!

But stuff like this, this is nice, simple, soulful music that shouldn't enrage anybody and please many for as long as it's on.

And oh yeah, Sonny Sharrock and Fathead in the same band. Live band. Hell yeah.

And oh HELL yeah - Bruno Carr. That's all anybody needs to know afaic, Bruno Carr. Pocket enough for both hands and your daddy's billfold, that's the pocket of Bruno Carr.

4 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

OK, how the hell is this the very first I'm ever hearing of this album?  I'm a fairly big fan of bass clarinet (have been for 25 years), and I would have thought I'd crossed paths with this thing at some point.  Of course, doesn't help that Herbie Mann isn't a name I see in the bins all that much (not that I'm usually ever looking for him, I'll admit)

Gotta check this one out.

You're too young.  It was already an old record when I got it in the '60s. 

On 3/3/2015 at 3:17 AM, mikeweil said:

41YH148GQTL.jpg

There are some more of this band on his preceding Verve LP, and on another Riverside LP. Plus some live tracks from a TV show.

FWIW, the Fresh sound reissue adds some of these as a bonus. Very nice relaxed music, Herbie had a comfortable feel on the instrument, but never again picked it up after these recordings, AFAIK.

Did OJC ever issue a corrected version of this CD? The originally issued CD (the one I have) has a bonus track, "Blues For Tomorrow", which was the title track from the Riverside compilation of the same name. Unfortunately, that's not Herbie Mann's track - his track was "A Sad Thing". "Blues For Tomorrow" has Gryce, Coltrane & Hawkins - none of whom would ever be confused with Mann.

I, too, received the "wrong" version at first, e-mailed Terri Hinte at Fantasy and was sent a replacement with the correct bonus track - she apologized for the mistake. At the same time they issued a Mongo Santamaria twofer CD with two tracks missing. 

In other  words, they corrected the issue.

6 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

I, too, received the "wrong" version at first, e-mailed Terri Hinte at Fantasy and was sent a replacement with the correct bonus track - she apologized for the mistake. At the same time they issued a Mongo Santamaria twofer CD with two tracks missing. 

In other  words, they corrected the issue.

Did they send you just the disc or a new CD with corrected artwork? I only ask because I can't find a picture of that CD backer without "Blues For Tomorrow" on it.

BTW, I don't really need the corrected CD because I have the "Blues For Tomorrow" CD.

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

David Murray's "Ballads For Bass Clarinet" released in 1993 on the DIW label is worth looking into.  In addition to Murray, it features John Hicks,  Ray Drummond and Idris Muhammad.  

A great date, and most of this album (rather than really being all ballads), is actually a whole bunch of solidly mid-tempo tunes. No burners, sure, but this is anything but a sleepy, languid date.