Your Favorite Bird Live Recording

paul secor

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since just picking one Bird live recording is cruelly impossible, I'm going to cheat a little, with explanations:

For the quality of Bird's improvisations, Bird at St. Nick's;

For the historical aspects - the early flowering of a new style - and the interaction with Gillespie, Town Hall, June 22, 1945;

For a more expansive view of the scope of a genius, the Billy Berg recordings from the Dean Benedetti Mosaic set.

Oh, wait, there's the JATP concert with "Lady Be Good"..... This is really cruel, Paul.

I just figured that, sooner or later, most of the great live Bird recordings would be posted, even if it were limited to one per party.

somebody sgot to post this

Various-Jazz+-+The+Greatest+Jazz+Concert

One Night in Birdland

71vZP95vKXL._SY450_.jpg

There's just something about this one for me. From the opening notes of Wahoo it's just 'perfect'.

I have this on the way from CD Japan. Should be here this week.

Issued on Jass, a sub of Stash.

61Hh3qhVh-L._SL500_.jpg

The rest of it is pretty terrific as well. The "non-bird" material was issued on an IAJRC lp.

Cheating, but I'd take either of these. Probably the Birdland two-LP set as first choice.

One Night in Birdland

71vZP95vKXL._SY450_.jpg

There's just something about this one for me. From the opening notes of Wahoo it's just 'perfect'.

SICP_4201.jpg

Sony Japan also reissued Summit Meeting At Birdland. Is it in the same league as One Night In Birdland?

It seems that One Night at Birdland was recorded on 30 June 1950, and Summit Meeting at Birdland on March 31, 1951 - May 9, 1953.

One Night in Birdland

71vZP95vKXL._SY450_.jpg

SICP_4201.jpg

Sony Japan also reissued Summit Meeting At Birdland. Is it in the same league as One Night In Birdland?

It seems that One Night at Birdland was recorded on 30 June 1950, and Summit Meeting at Birdland on March 31, 1951 - May 9, 1953.

I meant if the quality of the performances were on the same exalted level as on One Night In Birdland.

il_570xN.378995108_as3a.jpg

One of the first jazz LPs I bought back in the very early 70s, the Ornithology with Fats and Bud is still one of the essential jazz recordings for me. Both this and the Columbia shown below play back above pitch; there is a remastering on one of the Andorran labels that corrects this (surprisingly enough!) It was a shock to hear the pitch corrected version (just that little bit slower and calm), but actually it makes sense when you get used to it. Has anyone else logged this?

One Night in Birdland

71vZP95vKXL._SY450_.jpg

Just did a search, and we did this about five years ago, but it's probably worth doing again.

What's your one favorite Charlie Parker live (non-studio) recording?

Mine is:

3140F3A8S5L.jpg

Charlie Parker: At the Open Door (Ember)

I'm sure it's been released on other label over the years.

The Open Door is killer, essential listening for anybody who thinks that Bird was already in major decline in 1953. The tapes may have circulated for some time, but I don't think it had any commercial (bootleg) release until Bird's Eyes included it in two of their last volumes in the 90s. I still remember being surpried and astonished when those Bird's Eyes volumes appeared.

Another strong set that I don't believe has been mentioned is the Chicago Perishing concert of 1950. Part of that concert was released on "One Night in Chicago," and before that on "An Evening at Home With the Bird (sic!)." But there are also amazing Bird solos in excellent sound from what is believed to be a later set from that concert.

I am also very attached to the 1947 Carnegie Hall broadcast with Diz.

Howard Theater (1953) (included on One Night in Washington) is also very fine.

il_570xN.378995108_as3a.jpg

One of the first jazz LPs I bought back in the very early 70s, the Ornithology with Fats and Bud is still one of the essential jazz recordings for me. Both this and the Columbia shown below play back above pitch; there is a remastering on one of the Andorran labels that corrects this (surprisingly enough!) It was a shock to hear the pitch corrected version (just that little bit slower and calm), but actually it makes sense when you get used to it. Has anyone else logged this?

One Night in Birdland

71vZP95vKXL._SY450_.jpg

Xybert earlier posted a link to a review of the track Ornithology by Steve Coleman at jazz.com.

"I have owned several versions of this exact recording, and almost all of them are technically flawed in one way or another. My most complete version is a CD re-mastered with the help of the excellent drummer Kenny Washington, who pitch-corrected the recording. Also the complete Bud Powell solo is present in this recording, whereas on my original LP edition that I still own, Bud's solo was edited out."

He does not mention which CD release is the corrected version. On the 2014 Japanese release (2014 DSD remaster) Ornithology is 7:50. On the Japanese CD Powell's solo starts at 4:24 and ends at 6:00.

More:

Session information from plosin:

"Most of the tunes on the Columbia LP produced by Gary Giddins are clearly off-speed -- about a half step sharp, sometimes more. The Sony (J) CD reissue is also fast, but the versions on the Bird Box LPs and CDs play at the correct pitch."

"13 Ornithology (C. Parker-B. Harris) 8:04 At the beginning of Parker's solo someone (Little Jimmy Scott?) yells "Go, baby!" During his solo Navarro quotes "Cool Blues" (3:08-3:10); Parker and Navarro exchanges following Powell's solo (6:17-7:23)"

Even more:

MarkR, is this the Andorran release you own?

57_2.jpg

57_1.jpg

Jazz at Massey Hall for me. Much thanks to the kind and knowledgeable sales guy at Franklin Music back in the early 70's, it was the first Bird and first Diz I ever heard, and is indelibly sketched in my consciousness. Can't say if it's the best or not, as I can't possibly be objective about it, but it always has been and always will be my favorite.

Erwbol wrote:

"At the beginning of Parker's solo someone (Little Jimmy Scott?) yells "Go, baby!"

It's Pee Wee Marquette, Birdland's dwarf MC (half a MF, in the words of Lester Young).

That was a quote from Peter Losin's website. ;)

I don't know that website, but the quote is widely known.

Curious if the recent Japanese reissues have been speed-corrected.

My conclusion is One Night In Birdland is not, see post #41.

Yeah judging by the track times. Would love to hear an A/B comparison to see how much difference it makes. Slightly disappointing but at the same time that's how i've heard it and fallen in love with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Curious if the recent Japanese reissues have been speed-corrected.

My conclusion is One Night In Birdland is not, see post #41.

Yeah judging by the track times. Would love to hear an A/B comparison to see how much difference it makes. Slightly disappointing but at the same time that's how i've heard it and fallen in love with it.

hmv.co.jp has sound samples of the new reissue. Can someone who has a previous issue compare and tell us if they corrected the speed?

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Charlie-Parker_000000000003816/item_One-Night-In-Birdland_5620291