Your Favorite Bird Live Recording

paul secor

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bird at St Nick's has been a favorite of mine for 50 years.

Ditto on St. Nick's. He plays things you don't always hear him play. I wish the other soloists were recorded. Probably Jimmy Knepper was saving tape.

He probably was, but I don't mind - it's part of the legacy. Bird was surpassing himself that night. After all those years and playing the LP and now the CD countless times, I still find the atmosphere totally mesmerizing.

• 4 weeks later...

I just listened to Ornithology from a date at the Finale Club, LA, March 1946, with Miles, Joe Albany, Addison Farmer and Chuck Thompson.  Very interesting stuff.  Joe Albany made a big difference in the performance - he's more of an integral part of the sound and the band, rather than just support.  In just a small way, Miles and Bird change their performance style here - a little more structured.  Ornithology even has a slightly different arrangement in the bridge!  It was really enjoyable, and worth checking out.  It's included on the "Chasin' The Bird" Proper box.

Ditto on St. Nick's. He plays things you don't always hear him play. I wish the other soloists were recorded. Probably Jimmy Knepper was saving tape.

He probably was, but I don't mind - it's part of the legacy. Bird was surpassing himself that night. After all those years and playing the LP and now the CD countless times, I still find the atmosphere totally mesmerizing.

I just discovered that there is more of Bird at St. Nick's available than what is on the Prestige/Fantasy release.  There's a download at Amazon of "The Complete Bird at St. Nick's" with a dozen or so additional tracks. (CD and Lp too.)  Listening to it I'm surprised by the number of times Bird exchanges 4s with Red Rodney.  I don't recall him doing it that often.

Oooops I just noticed that the extra cuts on "The Complete...." are not the same as those listed by Peter Losin.  Don't know what to think.

Edited by medjuck

I have been trying to give an answer to this. . . I really don't have a "favorite." I have many favorites. Some of the California material on the Mosaic set blows me away. And to be honest I really like the Birdland All Stars material. . . it has a different vibe that I respond to and I think a lot of it is quite good. 

So much wonderful live Bird. The man was a wildfire across the musical prairie.

Does anyone have this one? If so, how is it?

71hv-1kO8kL._SX522_.jpg

I have it.  It's not as "intense" as some of the others mentioned here.  On the other hand, the tunes are longer than on most other live Bird sets: Scrapple From The Apple, Cool Blues and Au Privave/Dance of the Infidels are each 13 minutes long.  Charlie Parker (as), Frank Morgan (as), Don Wilkerson (ts), Amost Trice (p), Dave Bryant (b), Lawrence Marable (d). Guest star: Chet Baker (tp on #5).  7/14/52.  It's definitely worth hearing, but not as essential as many others mentioned here.

Christmas 1949 Carnegie Hall concert.

Is this this the Norman Granz' JATP recording?

According to the noes in the cd  the concert was  put on by Leonard Feather and Symphony  Syd.  There's a couple of earlier posts here with pictures of the cd but I can't find a number to refer to them with the new software.