BFT 132 Reveal

Tom in RI

1. After the Rain – Giovanni Moltoni, Openground C#2. This is a local guy, a Berklee instructor. More local guys accompany, Paul Del Nero – bass and Bob Tamagni – drums. This guy has a little different style which I always enjoy when I throw it on.
  2. Shakiing the Blues Away – George Masso, That Old Gang of Mine Arbors ARCD 19173. Another local guy, With Dave McKenna – piano, Lou Columbo – trumpet, Dick Johnson – clarinet, Marshall Wood – bass, Artie Cabral – drums. Page correctly id’ed the title.
  3. St. Thomas – Benny Golson, Tenor Legacy Arkadia Jazz 70742. Everyone recognizes the tune and both Thom Keith and Hardbopjazz id’ed Golson and Harold Ashby as the tenors. The rhythm section is Geoff Keezer – piano, Dwayne Burno – bass and Joe Farnsworth – drums.
  4. Sunnymoon For Two – Paul Brown, The Paul Brown Quartet meets The Three Tenors Brownstone BRCD 9809. The rhythm section is Paul Brown – bass, Dean Carbone – vibes, Norm Gagne – piano, and Michael Scott – drums. Thom Keith correctly id’ed the three tenors, John Stubblefield, Houston Person and George Coleman. They only play together on the 1st and last track. Otherwise each tenor gets two features alone.
  5. Tropicalia - Dr. Lonnie Smith, Boogaloo to Beck, Scufflin’ Records CD-8481. Page picked this out immediately. With Fathead Newman – tenor, Doug Monro – guitar, and Lafrae Sci – drums.
  6. Penta Blues - Alan Dawson, Waltzin’ With Flo, Space Time Records BG 9808. Page knew the recording and Thom Keith id’ed Billy Pierce and the leader. The rest of the cast is Bill Mobley – trumpet, Andy McGhee – tenor, Donald Brown – piano, Ray Drummond- bass. I haven’t seen a lot of live jazz but I did get the chance to see Alan Dawson a couple times, he made quite an impression on me.
  7. Fast Friends - Rob Holmes, The Write Time, Resurgent Music RM 115. Holmes – tenor, Glenn Wilson - baritone, John D’Earth – trumpet, Paul Pieper – guitar, Bob Hallahan – piano, Randall Pharr – bass, Howard Curtis – drums. Some people liked it and it left others cold. Holmes has a couple other releases, one of which I have. The other represents a turn towards “Contemporary Jazz/RB” which I have not heard. Regardless, I really like this cd.
  8. Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most - Frank Foster and Frank Wess, Two for the Blues, Pablo OJCCD 788-2. Foster and Wess, tenors, Kenny Barron – piano, Rufus Reid – bass, Marvin “Smitty” Smith – drums. Thom Keith and Hardbopjazz picked the tenors, as did April BFT host Dan Gould.
  9. Texas Moon - Charles Davis, Blue Gardenia, Reade Street Records, reade-1110-cd. Davis - tenor, Cedar Walton – piano, Peter Washington – bass, Joe Farnsworth – drums. I did not click with this disc at all when I first got it but it has really grown on me.
  10. Hi Ruth! – Gene Ammons, taken from Swinging the Jug, Groove Hut Records GH66706 but originally on Prestige (?) and also available one of the Legends of Acid Jazz reissues. Ammons – tenor, Harold Mabern – piano, George Freeman – guitar, Ron Carter – bass, Idris Muhammad – drums. Pretty late period Jug that several people recognized. I like Ammons a lot but I go crazy over this particular track. This was the first time I ever heard George Freeman, a TDWR.
  11. Ortlieb’s – John Swana and the Philadelphians, Philly Gumbo vol 2, Criss Cross 1260. Swana – trumpet, Bootsie Barnes, Larryu McKenna – tenors, Sid Simmons – piano, Mike Boone – bass, Byron Landham – drums. Another title id’ed by Page. If you liked this track you will like the whole date.

Thanks everyone for playing, the number of things correctly identified by you guys does amaze me.

Edited by Tom in RI

Hi Tom,
I do like it yes, so I'll look into the album.. How's the Benny Golson album? I just got notified today that he will be playing here in spring while accompanied by my favourite nat. pianist ánd drummer!!! Unfortunately I need a car to get there and I don't have one (anymore). I do have a friend who is co-hosting the event though, so maybe I can ride with him.
I've really enjoyed your BFT. Thanks again, I had fun.
Kind regards, page

Edited by page