Vision Festival 2015

issho

One of the questions I have is how well Judson will hold up as a concert venue. When they've used it for Winter JazzFest, audience members stood or sat on the bare floor, and the noise from the back of the room was quite noticeable. I assume they will put folding seats in, but then there is not that much space IIRC. It kind of reminds me of the unlamented (at least by me) Clemente Soto Velez space, where the VF was once held. OTOH, I like being on Washington Square and in the Village. I wonder why they left Roulette? And changed the dates to July? Interesting.

Very concerned that the space will not work well

Many of Leeway's concerns are echoed here. Need chairs. If not, it will be a disaster. I do not like the sound in the huge church hall. It works for some of the music, I guess - but not the type of space I look to hear my favorite music live. Sound of the drummers is lost to the high ceiling.

Plus I imagine it will be hot outside - what about inside? Anyone know?!?!?

Too bad they moved from Roulette. I love that room.

Good to see that both of my favorite local NYC guys are playing Saturday night. I think I make it for Tuesday and Saturday despite my concerns.

Generally it hasn't, but opening night and "big nights" have sold out (or pretty close) in some cases. The question is how many will the new venue hold and will that meet the demand. I'm sure that Patricia Nicholson Parker and WIlliam Parker have given their serious attention to this matter and taken the measure of the new space. It would be nice to know, though, more about what the new venue should be like for VF. BTW, I agree that Tuesday and Saturday are the strongest nights, which raises some tactical considerations for attendance.

On the fence - but should check early onset saltiness at the door and try to see some of the music.

There is where I'm at. I would like to see some of these great musicians but I'm spoiled as far as my preferred listening experiences. After seeing Evan Parker from the front row at The Stone where I could have touched his tenor saxophone sitting on the table while he was playing his soprano, it is hard to even get excited about hearing even Gerry Hemingway with Marilyn Crispell or Joelle Leandre with Mat Maneri & Gerald Cleaver when the sound of those great drummers might be lost to the height of the church.

Plus I'll see Hemingway later in the month @ The Stone from ten feet away (if I choose to put up with the dreaded heat - but at least I know the actual sound experience will be mind blowing).

I love Malaby (real shock!!) and I'm grateful that the Vision Festival is featuring him this year leading one of his ensembles - but honestly it is SO MUCH BETTER to see him @ Cornelia Street Cafe - which I'm doing again this weekend with Open Loose.

Sure I would LOVE to see / hear Roscoe Mitchell's band and that would be the primary reason I would go on Tuesday just as seeing Leandre with Maneri on Saturday would be my reason for going that night.

Scott, once on opening night I had to wait for inside people to leave before they let me in.

The Angel Orensanz Center was the most beautiful place that I saw for a Vision Festival and Roulette was probably the best place to listen.

It is indeed a beautiful cathedral.

Just to be precise, it is/was a synagogue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Orensanz_Center

• 2 months later...

I went last night to hear Connie Crothers, Crispell/Hemingway and the Sun Ra Arkestra.  The piano was so dreadfully out of tune that I was embarrassed for the artists, and infuriated as a listener.  After Connie's set with dancers, I promptly asked for a refund and left.  Very disappointing to see an organization that disrespects the artists and their audience by thoughtless inaction on what should be a no-brainer.  I won't be going back.........

I went last night to hear Connie Crothers, Crispell/Hemingway and the Sun Ra Arkestra.  The piano was so dreadfully out of tune that I was embarrassed for the artists, and infuriated as a listener.  After Connie's set with dancers, I promptly asked for a refund and left.  Very disappointing to see an organization that disrespects the artists and their audience by thoughtless inaction on what should be a no-brainer.  I won't be going back.........

I decided not to go this year because of the venue. Very curious as to the overall sound, seating and temperature control of the room. If I hear decent reports, I would consider goin this Saturday night.

I decided not to go this year because of the venue. Very curious as to the overall sound, seating and temperature control of the room. If I hear decent reports, I would consider goin this Saturday night.

I would also be interested in hearing about the seating and acoustics.  I am considering attending this weekend also.