Great Charles McPherson Interview

Michael Weiss

Michael Weiss goes back a while with McPherson. I'm recalling the time around 1990 when I saw Michael lead a quintet featuring McPherson and Tom Harrell at Alice Tully Hall. Went with a few non-jazz friends from work whom I convinced to go. Everyone enjoyed it - wonderful concert.

Edited by MartyJazz

Michael Weiss goes back a while with McPherson. I'm recalling the time around 1990 when I saw Michael lead a quintet featuring McPherson and Tom Harrell at Alice Tully Hall. Went with a few non-jazz friends from work whom I convinced to go. Everyone enjoyed it - wonderful concert.

I wish it was Alice Tully Hall. It was Merkin Hall in 1992, but thanks for reminiscing Marty. The concert was entitled "Monk, Bud and Bird: Rediscovered Rarities"

Related.

Just discovered this today: Jazz in Detroit c. late 80s.Charles McPherson with Kenn Cox a very young Rodney Whitaker and /Roy Brooks. Priceless footage. The tenor sax heard over the opening credits is Donald Walden, the host, who came up in Detroit with Charles and Lonnie Hillyar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfzgb5h1VL0