Post a Landscape/Cityscape Pic

17 hours ago, kinuta said:

Where is that taken from ?

Some pics of Mulholland Drive might be interesting if your rambling takes you that way.

That shot was taken from a little bluff near the Observatory.  

Getting to Mulholland is a little more difficult for me because I don't own a car.  I love going to the Hollywood Bowl overlook but it's quite a steep hike.  

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cover.jpg

Not exactly what was meant by the topic but...this CD is being released on Record Store Day 2016 (16 April) and for anyone who likes jazz rock in the Nucleus, Brian Augur or early Graham Collier  vein then this is for them. The title of this was just too coincidental not to post. It's also available as two separate vinyl EPs entitled Cityscapes and Landscapes respectively. The music was inspired by the composer's reaction to his environments in the city and in a rural setting. 

P4121204%202000.jpg

Near St. Martins-in-the-Fields, London - Edith Cavell Monument and the Coliseum - I especially planned for the pigeon shadow over Edith's head! 

P4121209%202000.jpg

April weather over the Thames

P4131284%202000.jpg

P4131334%202000.jpg

P4131229%202000.jpg

Spring comes to Hatfield (before the North) House - where Elizabeth I spent her youth and learnt of her succession (though the big house in the first picture wasn't built until 1611).

2920.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Yunnan, China: Farmers have started planting rice seedlings in the terraced fields of Honghe county Photograph: Xinhua/Barcroft Media

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/apr/15/photo-highlights-of-the-day-tomato-wrestling-and-swimming-with-sharks

Edited by A Lark Ascending

6984.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Corwen, Wales - A snake’s head fritillary is caught out by unseasonal snowfall Photograph: Richard Bowler/Rex/Shutterstock

An element of a landscape rather than a landscape. But a pretty one.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/apr/17/photo-highlights-of-the-day-music-in-california-and-a-baby-monkey

4096.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Brussels, Belgium - Halle’s woodlands, near Brussels, are known for hyacinths which are in bloom from mid-April to early May Photograph: Stephanie Lecocq/EPA

Why don't my photos of the woods look like that? I'd either have the bottom half in shadow with no colour or the top half bleached. Beautiful shot.

2187.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Whitley Bay, UK - A lobster catcher checks his pots as the sun rises over his small fishing boat in the North Sea Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

That one is very lovely but rather disturbing. 

3500.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Farne Islands, UK - Puffins just off the Northumberland coast at the start of the breeding season. Rangers are hoping for a more successful summer after flooding wreaked havoc last year Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

Much as I like animals (from a distance!) I've never kept pets; but if you could download puffins off Amazon I'd be tempted to have a couple in the garden. 

6557.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

The Bubble Nebula - An emission nebula 11,000 light years away. This image was taken by the Hubble telescope to celebrate its 26th year in space Photograph: Hubble Heritage Team/ESA/NASA

Now that's a landscape! 

9 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

6557.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

The Bubble Nebula - An emission nebula 11,000 light years away. This image was taken by the Hubble telescope to celebrate its 26th year in space Photograph: Hubble Heritage Team/ESA/NASA

Now that's a landscape! 

Wow!

(I wonder how large that bubble is?)

Edit: I can answer my own question:  The NY Times states  that it is "more than 10 light-years across, and it is constantly growing. Its star, SAO 20575, spews stellar winds that inflate the cloud at a rate of 62,000 miles per hour."

(And NASA reports that it's only 7100 light years away.  Where did the extra 3900 light years come from? I sense a scandal here.)

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/hubble-sees-a-star-inflating-a-giant-bubble
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/science/a-hubble-birthday-bubble-in-clear-view.html?hpw&rref=science&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Edited by alankin

4096.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Bavaria, Germany - Tulips bend under the weight of snow after wintry weather in Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Photograph: Angelika Warmuth/EPA

3500.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Tynemouth, England - Surfers leave the North Sea as storm clouds gather Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

No bow-ut comin' in (though one in the distance sailing by).

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/apr/25/photo-highlights-of-the-day-anzac-day-and-obamas-new-glasses

Last one reminds me of...

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_81rkjjdgbc4k

The Monk by the Sea - Caspar David Friedrich (1810). He was keen on people looking out to sea (lots of Romantic religious symbolism). 

3345.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Hofsgrund, Germany: A car passes snow-covered trees in the Black Forest - Photograph: Patrick Seeger/EPA

It's been snowing lightly here over the last couple of days but nothing like this!

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/apr/27/photo-highlights-of-the-day-operation-smile-and-wintry-weather 

3603.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Xuan’en, China: Tourists walk on a 500-metre (1,640ft) long plank road built over the river in Xuan’en county Photograph: Xinhua/Barcroft Images

http://www.theguardian.com/news/gallery/2016/may/02/photo-highlights-of-the-day-a-baby-stork-and-protests-in-paris

Eat your heart out, Boris. 

1600.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

A supercell thunderstorm rises over the town of Blackhawk, South Dakota. - Photograph: James Smart/2016 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest

4608.jpg?w=1920&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&

Cherry blossom in Minobu, Yamanashi, Japan. Photograph: Katsuyoshi Nakahara/2016 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year Contest

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2016/may/05/2016-national-geographic-travel-photographer-of-the-year

Some other spectacular photos at above link

Pouring with rain all day today but yesterday was spectacular weather wise:

P5091549%202000.jpg

P5091560%202000.jpg

P5091588%202000.jpg

The hills 20 minutes from central Sheffield (traffic permitting). That lovely time of year where the leaves have just sprouted and are as green as possible. 

P5091635%202000.jpg

Famous Derbyshire 'pick your own' restaurant. 

14 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

You have water in California? Nice. 

The reservoir is basically just there for the scenic beauty now, it hasn't been used as a primary water source for a long time.  There are huge underground storage tanks north of the lake where the water is actually stored.