Xanadu Master Edition Series - Elemental Music

dougcrates

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something about Don Schlitten & Joe Fields were married as Cobblestone at one time and got divorced pretty early on. Muse & Xanadu each got some of the kids.

And some of the kids were apparently orphaned, like the first Visitors album. Still confused on that Tootie Heath album which appeared on Muse (Fields) and now Xanadu (Schlitten). Guess they split custody on that one, but overall that scenario holds up very well.

Does anyone know who owns the Muse catalog these days? I tried a couple of times to find a decent LP copy of Art Hodes/Milt Hinton: Just the Two of Us, but had no luck. From what I heard, all the pressings were bad - though a friend got a promo copy that's a good pressing, so who knows? I'd love to pick up a CD copy if there ever were a reissue, but that doesn't seem very likely.

Was trying to Google Paul's question (the last I remember was that Savoy had acquired the Muse catalog and Atlantic had acquired Savoy/Muse, but those memories could be obsolete and/or mistaken). Anyways, ran into this fascinating legal brief (I know,sounds like an oxymoron) about Pete La Roca Sims suing Joe Fields and Muse records over their 1973 reissue of 'Turkish Women at the Bath' as a Chick Corea album called 'Bliss'. Neither side comes out looking great in the matter to me. I know this sort of thing has long been done by shady reissuers of the Warwick jazz titles ('Jammin With Herbie', et al),

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19861128648FSupp480_11044.xml/SIMS%20v.%20BLANCHRIS,%20INC.

Edited by felser

here's the list of future reissues mentioned in the trailer (17 more, so a total of 23, including 2 double cds)

Kenny Barron - At the Piano

Teddy Edwards - Feelin's

Joe Farrell - Skateboard Park

Ronnie Cuber - Cubre Libre

Al Cohn / Dexter Gordon - True Blue & Silver Blue (2CD)

Dolo Coker - California Hard

Kenny Drew - Home is where the Soul is

Charles McPherson - Beautiful

Frank Butler - The Stepper

Bob Berg - New Birth

Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning

Teddy Edwards - The Inimitable Teddy Edwards

Sam Jones - Changes & Things

Cecil Payne & Duke Jordan - Brooklyn Brothers

Barry Harris - Live in Tokyo

Charles McPherson - Live in Tokyo

Jimmy Raney - Live in Tokyo

Great looking list.

But I am a bit surprised they they're not reissuing Al Cohn Plays or Al Cohn's America.

I am a bit disappointed in the list as I already have 11 or 12 of them on CD. There are quite a large number of Xanadu recordings that I do want to get on CD, so am hoping they will be released later .

Something about Don Schlitten & Joe Fields were married as Cobblestone at one time and got divorced pretty early on. Muse & Xanadu each got some of the kids.

And some of the kids were apparently orphaned, like the first Visitors album.

That one made it over to Muse.

grubbs_earl_neptunemu_101b.jpg

And some of the kids were apparently orphaned, like the first Visitors album.

That one made it over to Muse.

grubbs_earl_neptunemu_101b.jpg

Did not realize (or remember) that. Good to know it got some additional distribution. Makes sense, since their subsequent LP's where on Muse/

• 1 month later...

I am glad that this music will be available for those who don't have it.

I also think it's a nice list, but how many of these are the first reissue?  The Ronnie Cuber?  Attic of My Mind?  Dakar was released in Japan, but wasn't it only 1 cd, so this one has new material (not released elsewhere?)?

That Bob Berg cd is tough one to fnd, although issued in France & Japan

Someone mentioned "East/West Controversy,"  Wasn't that issued by Vee Jay also (and that album was issued in Japan on cd), correct?

thanks in advance

just a hint, as I worry sometimes about lawsuits; Schlitten was/is scrupulously honest and devised a royalty plan for Xanadu that was revolutionary for the industry (musicians started receiving royalties up front without having to first recoup all costs); Joe Fields was the kind of guy who, if you shook hands with him, you counted your fingers afterwards. A little like Bernie from Stash.

though I think that one reason Xanadu failed was because he didn't have heavy industry/promo money behind him, and was very hesitant to deal with some of the more traditional means of promo and distribution. He also refused to jump on any bandwagons. I liked Don a lot (worked for him briefly) but he was a bit too stubborn, I think, and sometimes stubbornness replaced principle.

Edited by AllenLowe
that rash is finally clearing up

• 1 month later...

Just picked up this one from the new series.....

088470.jpg

Very nicely put together package including an expanded booklet with updated liner notes by Mark Gardner.

However, there's something about the way some of these Xanadu recordings "sound" that I'm not keen on and unfortunately this is one such album. The instruments sound very harsh to me, especially the piano....is it the way they are miked? I've never heard the original album on vinyl so I can't comment on how this release compares but is it me or does anyone else have a problem with how this album sounds?

1) this is not a well recorded LP; Barry is hard to record because he plays nearly everything at the mid point of the piano, and has a fairly flat sound. So it requires careful mic'ing and eq to separate the instruments - everything on this sounds 'bunched up;" you could probably improve it with some eq  -

2) Gene Taylor used to play a lot of 'wrong' notes, somewhat out of the chord, and this also creates problems - plus, IIRC, this was the day of the bad-buzzy-direct-to-line recording of basses, a regrettable time (though this technology has improved greatly) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Just picked up this one from the new series.....

088470.jpg

Very nicely put together package including an expanded booklet with updated liner notes by Mark Gardner.

However, there's something about the way some of these Xanadu recordings "sound" that I'm not keen on and unfortunately this is one such album. The instruments sound very harsh to me, especially the piano....is it the way they are miked? I've never heard the original album on vinyl so I can't comment on how this release compares but is it me or does anyone else have a problem with how this album sounds?

Well,  I didn't mind the sound too much, but I didn't like the "mix" very much especially listening with headphones. The bass is hard left (and too prominent;) drums to the right; Barry perhaps slightly under-recorded in the center. It doesn't gel particularly well.  Maybe it sounds better on speakers; I'll give it a try.

Edited by John Tapscott

1) this is not a well recorded LP; Barry is hard to record because he plays nearly everything at the mid point of the piano, and has a fairly flat sound. So it requires careful mic'ing and eq to separate the instruments - everything on this sounds 'bunched up;" you could probably improve it with some eq  -

2) Gene Taylor used to play a lot of 'wrong' notes, somewhat out of the chord, and this also creates problems - plus, IIRC, this was the day of the bad-buzzy-direct-to-line recording of basses, a regrettable time (though this technology has improved greatly) -

Thanks for the explanation, Allen. So it's not just me then...phew!

Not really meaningful, but I was in a completely mainstream, chain store last weekend, a place that mainly stocks used stuff.  They seemed to have the whole set in stock, new.  I guess I hope they're right in thinking there's a market for these.  

If any of the recordings were done by Richard Alderson (I think that's his name -- I've been trying to forget it) the piano will sound lousy.

Very much agreed. IMO, Alderson spoiled a  bunch of otherwise excellent Prestige albums. I've never understood why Schlitten employed him so often.

If any of the recordings were done by Richard Alderson (I think that's his name -- I've been trying to forget it) the piano will sound lousy.

Very much agreed. IMO, Alderson spoiled a  bunch of otherwise excellent Prestige albums. I've never understood why Schlitten employed him so often.

Maybe his studio time came cheap. :D

I remember Xanadu LPs best for reissue of Minton´s stuff, like the trumpet battles with Joe Guy, Hot Lips Page, Roy Eldrige etc...., with early Monk, Charlie Christian, Klook etc., and some "Bebop Revisited" with Diz from 45, some early Dexter, the sides that Fats Navarro made with Earl Coleman and so on......

During my Teenager years it was a quite good possibility to get in touch with the sounds of early bop......