Ornette Coleman - RIP

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/arts/music/remembering-what-made-ornette-coleman-a-jazz-visionary.html?smid=tw-nytimesmusic&seid=auto&_r=0

one funeral report, i've seen at least one other. good thing Phil Schaap just shut up and played the records (as if that's a 'service' to anyone, even before nearly all records were available at internet fingertips etc) or else he might have said something to 'offend' etc...

Any Organissimonauts make it uptown today?

Not here enough n I had to hear this terrible news from a friend. This is our Music, in my opinion, is the badassit record period: everyone is pissed off on the jacket n theres a white guy there just as pissed looking: brilliant photography, but the music is just as aggressive. OC knocked me sideways with this record.

2nd hand from Wadada tonight. He said a daughter was there and highlights were Threadgill/Moran, Cecil, Savion Glover/Jack DeJohnette and Ravi Coltrane.

Would have loved to hear some of these artists paying tribute to the man.

Seems like a wonderful service and send off to him.

Farewell to a musical giant already much missed.Coleman_Ornette_010.jpg

A report from the funeral from David Remnick, editor of the New Yorker. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/ornette-coleman-and-a-joyful-funeral

Coda: this is the second funeral in month at which Geri Allen has played, the first being in Detroit at the service for her mentor Marcus Belgrave -- whom she also honored with eloquent spoken remarks during the funeral.

Not here enough n I had to hear this terrible news from a friend. This is our Music, in my opinion, is the badassit record period: everyone is pissed off on the jacket n theres a white guy there just as pissed looking: brilliant photography, but the music is just as aggressive. OC knocked me sideways with this record.

Not what I hear or see in this recording at all, to me Ornette isn't at all aggressive - just going his own sweet way. 

Not what I hear or see in this recording at all, to me Ornette isn't at all aggressive - just going his own sweet TT

Its aggressive in its swing some fast tempos, Charlie Haden's most forceful bass playing like Kaleidoscope and Folk Tale, Blackwell is hard driving as well.

I think the bass and drums really propel Ornette on that album

Careful what you wish for - your imagination is probably better.

Especially when Yoko Ono is involved...

There will never be enough Yoko Ono recordings for me, especially from the 60s.

Some representation of her work with Richard Maxfield would be a nice next installment. More with Ornette would be great too but I don't know what else there may be.

Yes, he was walking with a cane and seemed to be mobility-impaired to some degree.

ombudsman: you should come out to NY and see the Yoko exh at the MoMA. It's very well done.

I'd love to see the Ono at MoMa. We had a small retrospective at The Serpentine a couple of summers ago and it really opened my eyes to Ono's work

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yes, he was walking with a cane and seemed to be mobility-impaired to some degree.

ombudsman: you should come out to NY and see the Yoko exh at the MoMA. It's very well done.

I'd certainly like to see that, but unfortunately it's not too easy for me to get to NYC these days. I do miss it.  I think my leisure traveling this year is going to be to Chicago and Detroit for parts of each of their jazz fests.