New John Scofield Joe Lovano collaboration on Impulse! - Past Present

erwbol

New John Scofield release with Joe Lovano, Larry Grenadier, and Bill Stewart. Past Present on Impulse!

Release date September 25th.

SHM-CD October 7th here.

Short interview with Montreal Gazette.

Tracklist:

1. Slinky
  2. Chap Dance
  3. Hangover
  4. Museum
  5. Season Creep
  6. Get Proud
  7. Enjoy the Future!
  8. Mr. Puffy

Great! I've already got a ticket for their concert at the Bimhuis in November.  :)

I've not bought any Sco lately but I'm  a fan of the Sco/Lovano Blue Notes.  I cant really see this one capturing the essence of the 90's band.

I'm with you here, John.

Last time I saw Lovano live he was awful. Not sure whether it was just a bad night or whether he's lost his mojo but I'll take a bit of convincing to buy anything new by him.

Prompted by this topic I played ScoLoHoFo yesterday.    I've never really taken to it I'm sorry to say, possibly because of its different feel.  I saw Lovano's two drummer band a few years back.  Lovano sounded fine with a massive sound but some of the impact was lost as the piano was badly miced or mixed.  Still enjoy a lot of Sco's playing, mainly caught on dvd from European tv.  Most of his recent albums have passed me by. II think with the BNs and Gramavisions I probably have the best.

I thought that this 2007 Scofield record was absolutely brilliant:

41t69QcbT%2BL._SY355_.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing the new Sco/Lovano collaboration. :) 

I'm not sure the horn section adds much.  I'd rather just hear the trio.

I dug the horn section. Thought they added some interesting textures.  But I certainly can see how others might prefer the music "stripped down."

You can get that same trio -- less the horns -- on En Route. I haven't gotten 'round to that one yet.

I thought that this 2007 Scofield record was absolutely brilliant:

41t69QcbT%2BL._SY355_.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing the new Sco/Lovano collaboration. :) 

I'm not sure the horn section adds much.  I'd rather just hear the trio.

I dug the horn section. Thought they added some interesting textures.  But I certainly can see how others might prefer the music "stripped down."

You can get that same trio -- less the horns -- on En Route. I haven't gotten 'round to that one yet.

I didn't care for the Rolling Stones cover and House of the Rising Sun.  

I haven't checked out much Scofield. Off the top of my head i've liked most of what i've heard but haven't caught the bug or felt compelled to really explore his discography. I like Blue Matter and Loud Jazz from the eighties with the usual disclaimer that i have a soft spot for eighties fusion. A Go Go with MMW was okay if a little corny for me. This Meets That might be the only other album of his that i've spent time with and i actually quite liked it. I had borrowed it and ripped a copy from the Library; actually wouldn't mind getting a hard copy of it at some point.

Anyway, the new one, i wouldn't mind checking it out but i'm not rushing to the store.