John Carter - Echoes From Rudolph's (2cd) NoBusiness

jcam_44

Nearly bought the LP a couple of times.Glad I won't have to pay the scarcity premium now.

Same here. I've been outbid a few time for this one. 

I saw the Bradford post a few days ago. I love NoBusiness but the LP only thing is a bit a deterrent for myself. I love hunting vinyl when I can get it for an affordable price but CD is my medium of choice.

So am I.

There's also a Bradford / Gjerstad Qt. apparently only on vinyl.

The Bradford / Gjerstad is from the tour that produced Silver Cornet.  It is good. It was recorded in Philadelphia a day or two before Silver Cornet.

No turntable at my house, so I guess I won't hear it.

Kampen was recorded in 2010 with Paal Nilssen-Love on drums rather than Frank Rosaly - so it's not from the tour that resulted in Silver Cornet. That band produced a killer CD called Reknes on Circulasion Totale (Gjerstad's label) that I found to be a bit better than the LP.

I had no idea Echoes from Rudolph's had become an expensive LP. Mine was purchased quite cheaply around ten years ago. 

NoBusiness puts out some releases on LP and some on CD, and some on both formats. Not every one is essential, but most are good. If you don't have a turntable for whatever reason, you'll survive.

Kampen was recorded in 2010 with Paal Nilssen-Love on drums rather than Frank Rosaly - so it's not from the tour that resulted in Silver Cornet. That band produced a killer CD called Reknes on Circulasion Totale (Gjerstad's label) that I found to be a bit better than the LP.

I had no idea Echoes from Rudolph's had become an expensive LP. Mine was purchased quite cheaply around ten years ago. 

NoBusiness puts out some releases on LP and some on CD, and some on both formats. Not every one is essential, but most are good. If you don't have a turntable for whatever reason, you'll survive.

Reknes is one I really like.

I'm not talking about Kampen! I am talking about the new release on the way.

I was not aware of a new Bradford-Gjerstad release on NB. 

I wasn't either.  Looking at their fb I see months of updates that never showed for me so I readjusted my settings to get notifications from them. The new one is called The Delaware River.  I don't like buying these expensive LPs, but I will get this one-- the band is too good.

Yup, Chuck was talking of the upcoming one, not of "Kampen". Great that there's so much recent/new Bradford around, guy really deserves it, as far as his playing goes (not saying he doesn't deserve it as a person, I'm not in a position to judge that, but love his playing a lot).

I was not aware of a new Bradford-Gjerstad release on NB. 

I wasn't either.  Looking at their fb I see months of updates that never showed for me so I readjusted my settings to get notifications from them. The new one is called The Delaware River.  I don't like buying these expensive LPs, but I will get this one-- the band is too good.

Honest mistake; it wasn't linked upthread so... 

I have long wanted to have copies of those Free Jazz Group Wiesbaden LPs and they're a booger to track down, so those CD reissues will be nice to delve into as well. The Dieter Scherf LPs are solid too - UMS reissued one of them a while back on CD, Inside-Outside Reflections.

Hopefully the Herbert Joos/Fourmenonly/Modern Jazz Quintet Karlsruhe catalog is next - I've scored most of that stuff and can vouch for its absolute excellence.

Yup, Chuck was talking of the upcoming one, not of "Kampen". Great that there's so much recent/new Bradford around, guy really deserves it, as far as his playing goes (not saying he doesn't deserve it as a person, I'm not in a position to judge that, but love his playing a lot).

Based on my interactions with him the times I've seen him, he deserves it more as a person than a player, and I hold him as high as any horn player out there

Edited by jcam_44

Wow, kinda surprised that the Carter is clearly a needle drop.

Tapes for the concert originally issued on Echoes from Rudolph's may no longer exist. It happens. A needle-drop can be a good thing; I worked on reissuing a record recently that we had to do from three sealed copies, de-clicking along the way and using an audio restoration engineer who'd worked on Smithsonian Folkways recordings. In this case, the master tapes were thrown out, so what else could be done? I'm glad that the music is coming out again and the artist is happy about it.

On the back of the "Rudolph's" LP jacket, the indication is that there were numerous concerts at Rudolph's club over a two-year period, although the LP itself was recorded at Spectrum Studios, on 9/6/76 & 7/4/77. So I wonder if the CDs will have an actual Rudolph's date, or at least extra tracks from the two studio dates. Either would be most welcome. 

CD 1

1. Echoes from Rudolph’s 10:06
  2. To a Fallen Poppy 6:13
  3. Angles 6:05
  4. Amin 9:51
  5. The Last Sunday 5:19

CD 2

1. Echoes from Rudolph’s / (19:30) To a Fallen Poppy
  2. Unidentified Title 1 / (8:15) Unidentified Title 2 / (15:52) Unidentified Title 3 / (22:00) Unidentified Title 4 / (31: 57) “Amin”

CD 1:
Tracks 1, 2, 4, & 5, recorded on 6th September, 1976; track 3 recorded on 14th July, 1977 at Spectrum Studios
All titles composed by John Carter
Originally released on LP by Ibedon Records (IAS 1000)
CD 2:
Recorded 19th March, 1977 at KPFK, Los Angeles, California
All titles composed by John Carter

I suspect the timing of 'Amin' has been transposed. It's 9:51 on disc one so 13:57 would be a likely alt on disc 2, no? That would make disc 2 about 80 mins long by my reckoning

whichever way it stacks up I'm mighty grateful we're getting the original LP let alone how many minutes of extra material

Edited by mjazzg