I Blame the New Software but ... Someone Feels Forgotten so

Dan Gould

It's kind of a milestone so um ... Happy Birthday to me?

I hate calling attention to myself but it's been a pretty good Birthday weekend so far. I've scored a lot of cheap vinyl on Mom's dime, and best of all, about 4 months ago I scoped out this weekend and saw that the Red Sox were in Tampa so I asked a very good friend if he could score tickets for my 50th B-day weekend.

Then last weekend I watched as David Ortiz kept hitting homers and getting closer to #500 I dared to hope that he could be sitting right on the edge for Saturday night's game. Well the seats were as close as I've ever sat, the stars aligned, the baseball gods smiled, and me and my buddy were in the house when Big Papi smacked #s 499 & 500:

500_001.jpg

500_003.jpg500_004_edit.jpg

So I can safely say, Best 50th Birthday Weekend EVAH!

Glad it was a great one, Dan.

What vinyl did you score?

MG

Benny Carter, Montreux '77 (Pablo)

Basie & Zoot (Pablo)

Jo Jones, The Main Man (Pablo)

Big Joe Turner, In the Evening (Pablo)

Big Joe Turner, Things That I Used to Do (Pablo)

Bob Thiele & His Orchestra, I Saw Pinetop Spit Blood (Flying Dutchman)

Dave Alexander, The Rattler (Arhoolie)

Peppermint Harris Featuring Albert Collins,  Houston Can't Be Heaven (Ace)

The Soul Jazz Giants (Prestige - a bunch of 'previously unissued' tracks that I am sure showed up on OJC CD reissues of the original LPs but I couldn't ignore the price)

Jazz Messengers '70 (Catalyst)

Earl King & Roomful of Blues, Glazed (Blacktop)

Joe Liggins, Great Rhythm and Blues Oldies (Blues Spectrum)

Big Joe Turner & Roomful of Blues, Blues Train (Muse)

and a bunch of those cheap-looking Il Giganti Del Jazz issues, some of which seem to be grey-market reissues of studio LPs and others are (perhaps) rare live recordings:

Jay McShann/T-Bone Walker/Sammy Price (#59) - Are these Black & Blue label recordings?

Howard McGhee/James Moody/Zoot Sims - this one is live

Lucky Thompson/Cedar Walton/Sam Jones/Louis Hayes (#31)

Jimmy Ponder (#28) - this appears to be his Ponderin' album

Almost all of what I picked up were $3-$5 and everything was anywhere from VG++ to NM or sealed so I think I did quite well.

Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes.

And edit to add:

One of the record shops also had a book selection and I found The Sound of Soul by Phyl Garland. Doing a little googling I found out she wrote the liners for Big John Patton, Let 'Em Roll and Jackie McLean's Right Now.

Edited by Dan Gould

and a bunch of those cheap-looking Il Giganti Del Jazz issues, some of which seem to be grey-market reissues of studio LPs and others are (perhaps) rare live recordings:

Jay McShann/T-Bone Walker/Sammy Price (#59) - Are these Black & Blue label recordings?

There was some connection between this series and the Sonny Lester Consortium, almost certainly...the studio sides were all(?) from Groove Merchant, and the live things would often resurface later on LRC and/or Laserlight.

There was some connection between this series and the Sonny Lester Consortium, almost certainly...the studio sides were all(?) from Groove Merchant, and the live things would often resurface later on LRC and/or Laserlight.

Not all. I had a Fats Navarro LP which had a collection of Savoy and Blue note sides (which I passed on to a relative newbie bebop fan when I bought the individual Savoy and BN LPs that had all the tracks) and I also have one somewhere from that Italian series that has an odd combination of (1960?) Benny Carter live recordings, "I wonder" by Cecil Gant (Bullet studio session, of course) as well as a couple of tunes by Harry The Hipster Gibson (from Musicraft 78s) - a record I bought at the time because nothing by Harry Gibson was available in reissue from yet.

Glad it was a great one, Dan.

What vinyl did you score?

MG

Benny Carter, Montreux '77 (Pablo)

Basie & Zoot (Pablo)

Jo Jones, The Main Man (Pablo)

Big Joe Turner, In the Evening (Pablo)

Big Joe Turner, Things That I Used to Do (Pablo)

Bob Thiele & His Orchestra, I Saw Pinetop Spit Blood (Flying Dutchman)

Dave Alexander, The Rattler (Arhoolie)

Peppermint Harris Featuring Albert Collins,  Houston Can't Be Heaven (Ace)

The Soul Jazz Giants (Prestige - a bunch of 'previously unissued' tracks that I am sure showed up on OJC CD reissues of the original LPs but I couldn't ignore the price)

Jazz Messengers '70 (Catalyst)

Earl King & Roomful of Blues, Glazed (Blacktop)

Joe Liggins, Great Rhythm and Blues Oldies (Blues Spectrum)

Big Joe Turner & Roomful of Blues, Blues Train (Muse)

Almost all of what I picked up were $3-$5 and everything was anywhere from VG++ to NM or sealed so I think I did quite well.

Thanks to everyone for their birthday wishes.

And edit to add:

One of the record shops also had a book selection and I found The Sound of Soul by Phyl Garland. Doing a little googling I found out she wrote the liners for Big John Patton, Let 'Em Roll and Jackie McLean's Right Now.

That Joe Liggins is a VERY nice album - quite the best of the Blues Spectrum LPs I've got or had.

The Ponder MIGHT be 'Ponderin'', or might be 'All things are beautiful'. Half of 'Ponderin'' was the same as half of 'All things are beautiful. I never came across an original issue of 'Ponderin'' except maybe on America - a French label - but it's weird to think of a Sonny Lester album making its first appearance on a French label. Though there was a McGriff from GM issued simultaneously on America...

MG 

Ponderin' was first released on 51 West, a CBS offshoot that released all sorts of things, including older Lester/Groove Merchant material:: http://www.discogs.com/label/44020-51-West

Also note:http://www.dougpayne.com/jpdisco.htm

PONDER'N
Jimmy Ponder

prob. New York City: c. 1980 (?)
prob. Warren Bernhardt (p); Jimmy Ponder (g); Ron Carter (b); Ben Dixon (d).

a. Seven Minds (Sam Jones)

prob. Warren Bernhardt (el-p); Jimmy Ponder (g); Ron Carter (b); Ben Dixon (d).

b. Visions (Jimmy Ponder)

c. Ponder'n (Jimmy Ponder)
d. Blues Bag (prob. Jimmy Ponder)
e. All Blues (Miles Davis)

Note: LRC CDC 9031 [CD] indicates that Jimmy McGriff plays organ on "Seven Minds," "Visions" and "Blues Bag" although no organ is heard on these titles. It is unlikely that Jimmy McGriff participates here at all.

Issues: a-e on 51 West Q16118
Samplers: a-e also on I Giganti Del Jazz (It) GJ-28 titled I GIGANTI DEL JAZZ. a also on LRC 20010 [CD] titled LRC JAZZ LEGACY ANTHOLOGY and LRC 20012 [CD] titled A KISS TO BUILD A DREAM ON: LRC JAZZ LEGACY ANTHOLOGY. a, b & d also on LRC CDC 9031 [CD] titled JIMMY PONDER.
Producer: (not listed, probably Sonny Lester)

The post-Groove Merchant activities of Sonny Lester are quite, um, curious. This Italian series, LRC, Laserlight (which ,they all contained live material of "questionable" origin as well as material that was more obviously his own work, but even at the, there would be these Jones-Lewis things from the Solid State days that he no longer had appeared to have the rights to.

Oh yeah - there were two series of I Giganti Del Jazz, the ones with the black covers, and the ones with the white covers. It's the series with the white covers that seem to draw heavily on Lester material

Never seen a black cover for the Giganti Del Jazz series! I'll have to check the Ponder LP but I could swear that Blues Bag is identified as a McGriff composition and also says that he plays  on it too. But it sounds like it ain't so.

As for the Liggins, MG - I am looking forward to this, as I've enjoyed every one of the Blues Spectrum issues in this series and I think I've now found all of the most interesting ones - Pee Wee Crayton, Cleanhead, Charles Brown, Gatemouth Moore, two Johnny Otis, Louis Jordan, Joe Turner, Roy Milton. I think that's all of them but I've been scarfing these up over the last six weeks or so and the Liggins is the one I hadn't found yet.

Here's what the black covered ones look like, and now I see that the tile is not exactly the same, it's "grandi" instead of "giganti":

Fats+Navarro+-+I+Grandi+Del+Jazz+%2363+-

they have a little history booklet inside. Apparently this series was put out for sale at newsstands as an adjunct ot some jazz magazine or something...it's in the board's bowels somewhere, that story.

Where the white covers "giganti" series get weird is that at some point the series name changed to Europa Jazz. Everything else, same.

leekonitzjoefarrellmichaellongoeddielock

193368.jpg

Yes, I mistakenly attributed the black Fats Navarro one to the sames series as the white Giganti del Jazz series. I found out this afternoon (I also have the Henry Red Allen one and 1 or 2 others from that black series) that these are 2 different series, though released concurrently. In the early 80s both series were all over the place here at the same time and remained available for quite some time. They were regular record shop fare (though always rather cheaply priced and crowded the Special Offers bins for ages, it seemed). Never saw any of these combined with mags, but why would anyone sell Italian-language booklets (and mags?) in Germany anyway? It was the vinyl what these reecords were all about here. The covers and booklets were add-ons

The Benny Carter/Cecil Gant/Harry The Hipster Gibson LP I mentioned was part of the white series. The combinations of artists on this white series often were odd indeed (which is why I shied away from most of these) and the presentation to my feeling was cheapo too, and the contents probably were a bit shady for the live dates. I remember a Bo Diddley concert I attended in 1988 or so. After the final set a couple of us went to the edge of the stage, wanting to have our LPs autographed. I had brought along several Chess LPs and a buddy had one of those white Giganti del Jazz LPs featuring Bo Diddley. When Bo Diddley saw that LP he gave it a VERY puzzled (and apparently not very amused) stare and after he had taken the whole stack of LPs backstage to sign them one of his aides came up front and asked my buddy that Bo wnated to know where he had got that one from. My buddy of course was both awestruck and scared and tried to explain, not knowing what it was all about. He did get his LP autographed, but it transpired that Bo had noticed this was an LP where of course no royalties had been paid so he made a note of the label and catalog number etc.

Ponderin' was first released on 51 West, a CBS offshoot that released all sorts of things, including older Lester/Groove Merchant material:: http://www.discogs.com/label/44020-51-West

Also note:http://www.dougpayne.com/jpdisco.htm

PONDER'N
Jimmy Ponder

prob. New York City: c. 1980 (?)

a. Seven Minds (Sam Jones)

prob. Warren Bernhardt (el-p); Jimmy Ponder (g); Ron Carter (b); Ben Dixon (d).

b. Visions (Jimmy Ponder)

c. Ponder'n (Jimmy Ponder)
d. Blues Bag (prob. Jimmy Ponder)
e. All Blues (Miles Davis)

Note: LRC CDC 9031 [CD] indicates that Jimmy McGriff plays organ on "Seven Minds," "Visions" and "Blues Bag" although no organ is heard on these titles. It is unlikely that Jimmy McGriff participates here at all.

Issues: a-e on 51 West Q16118
Samplers: a-e also on I Giganti Del Jazz (It) GJ-28 titled I GIGANTI DEL JAZZ. a also on LRC 20010 [CD] titled LRC JAZZ LEGACY ANTHOLOGY and LRC 20012 [CD] titled A KISS TO BUILD A DREAM ON: LRC JAZZ LEGACY ANTHOLOGY. a, b & d also on LRC CDC 9031 [CD] titled JIMMY PONDER.
Producer: (not listed, probably Sonny Lester)

The post-Groove Merchant activities of Sonny Lester are quite, um, curious. This Italian series, LRC, Laserlight (which ,they all contained live material of "questionable" origin as well as material that was more obviously his own work, but even at the, there would be these Jones-Lewis things from the Solid State days that he no longer had appeared to have the rights to.

Oh yeah - there were two series of I Giganti Del Jazz, the ones with the black covers, and the ones with the white covers. It's the series with the white covers that seem to draw heavily on Lester material

Never seen, nor heard of, that one. Tracks a, b & c are on one side of the America release, which I got in 1985. The other side has 3 cuts from 'All things are beautiful' - which is rather a waste of time.

Oh, if you happen to run into the Amos Milburn Blues Spectrum, consider deeply first if you want to hear a guy who's plainly lost pretty well everything he had - and he had a GREAT deal. It was so sad to hear it I got rid of it after one listen.

MG