Sonny Sharrock: Ask the Ages

Uncle Skid

IMHO Laswell's greatest triumph as a producer and Sharrock's masterpiece, intense and freewheeling yet focused and succinct.  Glad to to it coming back into print, wonder if there's more SS to come. Doesn't remind me of Carlos at all, YMMV.  My only quibble is I might have sequenced it differently.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

A masterpiece of a recording. I hear no Sharrock - Santana connection or influence. Santana is crazy.

Maybe I should point out that I am referring to the guitar playing or guitar solos.  I do not mean that Sharrock's band included timbales or that they performed anything that sounded like Black Magic Woman, etc.

Edited by gvopedz

A masterpiece of a recording. I hear no Sharrock - Santana connection or influence. Santana is crazy.

Maybe I should point out that I am referring to the guitar playing or guitar solos.  I do not mean that Sharrock's band included timbales or that they performed anything that sounded like Black Magic Woman, etc.

That's what I was trying to say in my original comment. It's more apparent on High Life than Ask the Ages, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 October 2015 5:02:20 am, gvopedz said:

Actually i just remembered that Sonny Sharrock used this devise that made his notes sustain for extra long periods...i think it was called an e-bow, and of course Santana was all about long sustained notes....so that is a connection for sure...i better re listen to high life

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

M.O.D. TECHNOLOGIES
RELEASES 
SONNY SHARROCK'S
Ask The Ages

ENHANCED AND RE-MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL RELEASE.

AVAILABLE IN STORES & ONLINE AND THROUGH

Sonny Sharrock
Electric Guitar
Pharoah Sanders
Tenor & Soprano Saxophone
Elvin Jones
Drums
Charnett Moffett
Acoustic Bass

60c5e937-ac01-4518-bd37-af154060e5b1.jpg

New York, December 17, 2015 - Ask The Ages - The classic definer. Guitarist Sonny Sharrock wasn't just ahead of his time, like a freight train roaring through a darkened station, not just hours but weeks ahead of schedule. Channeling the energy and spirit of John Coltrane...with the support of two undisputed icons of free jazz and the avant-garde, legendary Coltrane-drummer Elvin Jones and saxophonist Pharoah Sanders with Charnett Moffett on bass. Absolutely an exploration of the stratosphere and beyond.

Enhanced and re-mastered from the original. Produced by Bill Laswell - who upon emerging from the downtown NYC scene as a producer and bassist to be reckoned with, made it one of his first priorities to find Sharrock who he first heard at age fourteen...Ask The Ages.

TRACKS  
1. Promises Kept 9:43

2. Who Does She Hope To Be 4:41

3. Little Rock 7:12

4. As We Used To Sing 7:45

5. Many Mansions 9:31

6. Once Upon A Time 6:26

d01efd77-1782-4d4e-99ee-9841f9f8a16a.jpg
 ©1992 Jack Vartoogian, FrontRowPhotos