Christian Scott - Stretch Music

jcam_44

Christian Scott released a new album, which appears to be a self release available on bandcamp. I recently got the cd, I hold his music in high regard and he got me started with my journey into jazz with his Anthem album. As most do with jazz, I have moved past his Anthem album but have always felt he was growing as a player and more as a songwriter. Yesterday You Said Tomorrow is still, and will probably always be one of my favorite albums. I've listened to about half of Stretch Music. Although it does groove, I'm not in the head space to absorb it right now, it was sounding unfinished to me. I was trying to listen to it after Malcolm Goldstein "Live at Fire Valley" and the new Nate Wooley "(Dance To) The Early Music", so it could just be me.

Anyone else had had a chance to hear it and have any thoughts?

• 1 year later...
On 11/18/2015 at 10:10 AM, jcam_44 said:

Christian Scott released a new album, which appears to be a self release available on bandcamp. I recently got the cd, I hold his music in high regard and he got me started with my journey into jazz with his Anthem album. As most do with jazz, I have moved past his Anthem album but have always felt he was growing as a player and more as a songwriter. Yesterday You Said Tomorrow is still, and will probably always be one of my favorite albums. I've listened to about half of Stretch Music. Although it does groove, I'm not in the head space to absorb it right now, it was sounding unfinished to me. I was trying to listen to it after Malcolm Goldstein "Live at Fire Valley" and the new Nate Wooley "(Dance To) The Early Music", so it could just be me.

Anyone else had had a chance to hear it and have any thoughts?

Haven't heard it, but curious to check out Scott's newest releases:

Pitchfork review of The Centennial Trilogy

he is an ok player, but is an idiot as historian. Saw him at Yale last year; he told people that that the ODJB played fast to ridicule jazz (complete bullshit; they played fast because of the popularity of the One Step dance); that the ODJB used the term 'jass' as shorthand for Jackass (complete bullshit); that early bands didn't used drummers with drum sets (he was basing this on not understanding that early acoustic recording processes often weren't able to handle a full drum set); and claimed that there was an actual early record label called "Race Records."

Left me totally disgusted, especially as the crowd kept nodding their heads in wonder.

No thanks.

2 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

he is an ok player, but is an idiot as historian. Saw him at Yale last year; he told people that that the ODJB played fast to ridicule jazz (complete bullshit; they played fast because of the popularity of the One Step dance); that the ODJB used the term 'jass' as shorthand for Jackass (complete bullshit); that early bands didn't used drummers with drum sets (he was basing this on not understanding that early acoustic recording processes often weren't able to handle a full drum set); and claimed that there was an actual early record label called "Race Records."

Left me totally disgusted, especially as the crowd kept nodding their heads in wonder.

No thanks.

Did you attempt to correct him about any of the things you disagreed with?

• 1 year later...