New Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding Box Sets

brednjam1

Does anyone know if the new Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding box sets (The Atlantic Albums Collection and Soul Manifesto) have been remastered?  I tried to contact Rhino Records and got no reply.  For the prices these sets are being offered at I fear that Rhino has just re-packaged their existing masters and just thrown them together in new boxes...

I have the Aretha box, and I think the mastering is very good on it, all things considered.  How good are those recordings ever going to sound, since the master tapes are gone?  My biggest gripe is that they left out some GREAT non-LP singles rather than adding them onto the "odds and ends" CD set as bonus tracks, so I still need to hold onto another source for those tracks.  "House That Jack Built", "Spanish Harlem", "You're All I Need To Get By", "Bridge Over Troubled Water".  Major stuff, to my thinking.  I also picked the Otis box, but haven't listened to it yet.  If you're not a complete-ist, the 1992 "Queen of Soul" 4CD set is still probably the way to go on Aretha, and the Otis 4CD set from that era is pretty spectacular, too.  

• 6 months later...

You know what they need to do with their classic R&B catalogues? They need to get the original 45 mixes/masterings, use them press up a buttload full of new 45s, and then load them up in some loudass jukeboxes made to vintage specs. Sell those things, and then they can say you can hear them the way they were intended to sound!

And then for the true connoisseur, rig the jukebox to send out AM signal to your car radio within, like, a 120 or so mile radius. That would cost extra, of course.

But the jukebox thing, yeah, put me down for that if/when. Them and me. That shit would DOMINATE whatever space it occupied. If you've not heard any of that stuff on an bigoldfunkyold jukebox cranked all to hell, you don't know what "hot mastering" really means.