Charlie Haden-The Montreal Tapes

skeith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, Scientists are reporting a strange phenonemon.  Apparently, planet Joe Henderson's orbit has altered, taking it further and further away from the Organissimo Sun.  A shame.

Well, skeith, perhaps you could give us some of your detailed observations about this recording, or any other Joe recordings for that matter. Which are your favorites? I believe (from past experience) the thread starter must often also function as the thread sustainer- throw some topics out here, like "why I hate JoeHen"........just kidding. :o

Maybe that would help re-align the planets. ;)

Edited by Free For All

OK FFA,

I am not nearly as eloquent as a lot folks on this board, and you yourself gave a very nice review. I guess I am trying to support this Cd and urging others to get it because, like you, I think it is a great performance.

As for my impressions, as I said in my initial post, the personnel (Charlie Haden, Al Foster) is the same as the marvellous "An Evening With Joe Henderson" that came out on Red and that is the obvious Cd to compare this to (although as you said, it brings to mind State of the Tenor too, except that's Ron Carter). One key difference from "An Evening With" is the recording quality in that Montreal has much better sound. Another point is that the tunes are a bit longer on this new one- a couple of the four tunes around twenty minutes-but not boring at all. Although it is a Charlie Haden cd, JoeHen gets most of the soloing space and so it seems like his cd to me and, as you said, these are masterful performances if you like JoeHen, including another "Round Midnight" which stands up well agains the Live in Japan and At the Lighthouse versions. But I should add there are good, lengthy solos by both Haden and Foster.

What can I say - I have loved almost every Henderson Cd, except Porgy and Bess and that Big Band one. I don't find him to engage in the pet lick or rote behavior any more than any of the other greats and so that is not an issue with me- all of these great solosists sort of develop a language so to speak.

Not that anyone's reading this........................................................

Not that anyone's reading this........................................................

Hey, I'm reading it! I agree with what you say, I like the fact that they're stretching more on this one. You're as eloquent as any of the knuckleheads around here! :g

I just thought of a Joe title that I like that doesn't get much press- JoeHen in Japan.Some great playing.

OK, Sangrey- did you get your copy of the Montreal session yet? I think we're all (OK, "both") waiting with breathless anticipation for your contribution. ;)

Edited by Free For All

So far I'd take the Japan stuff over the Montreal tapes any day. The music on Montreal tapes is frustrating in the extreme - some flashes of brilliance but then long long passages where the pace lags and the tension sags.

I'm glad it was issued but so far I'm a little disappointed and can understand why it sat in the vaults for a while.

This is quite a nice release. It got me hungry for listening to more Joe Henderson trio music. I threw on "State of the Tenor" immediately afterwards, and was struck by the contrast. As good as "Montreal Tapes" is, "State of the Tenor" is on a higher plane altogether (IMO).

I'm still eagerly looking forward to hearing BARCELONA based on your recs, Jim. My guess is that I'll be more stoked by that one than MONTREAL TAPES.

A good example of what I'm talking about on this new release is the first track, ROUND MIDNIGHT (I just re-listened in the car on the short drive in to work). Joe plays a long and what I'd consider utterly brilliant 2+ minute unaccompanied introduction to this one - smart, dramatic, challenging - but then once Haden and Foster come in, not only do they plod through it, but Joe's playing goes several notches down in the quality department. There's a good 2-3 minutes' time that goes by where he's quite clearly treading water, clearly kind of lost for anything new to say - for a while he just sidles up and down and then he starts falling back on some of his pet licks (not used in a particularly creative way - much as I love Joe, he DEFINITELY was susceptible to this habit). Joe does seem to eventually pull out of it much later in the track, but it's kind of too little too late, and taken as a whole things are disjointed and herky-jerky.

To me this is the "bad news" side of having such wide open space for improvisation - on a good night, the best musicians do everything but speak in tongues, but on a middling night, there's lots of cold pockets. So all I'm saying here is that I'm not convinced this was one of Henderson's top gigs that they captured. Merely good (nice to know he was mortal just like the rest of us!), which is less than what I have come to expect based on so many of his other recordings.

I think Jim's on to something about Foster, and I'd broaden it to include Haden - both fine, fine musicians but I'm not sure either would be the person I'd pick to accompany Joe in this type of setting. Would love to have heard him in this type of situation reunited with Elvin Jones - one of the great little talked-about partnerships of the 60's - with someone like Cecil McBee on bass.

I agree with you he fits in quite well on SO NEAR, SO FAR, outstanding outing for everyone involved there...but I have problems with his fit on the STATE OF THE TENOR discs, I just don't hear him as the best bet in that kind of wide open pianoless trio setting.

Joe Henderson in Japan is marvelous. Picked it up in NY a few weekends ago. That rhythm section swings like crazy too.

Back around '73 or so, I lived in Brooklyn Heights and Henderson was just a block and a half away. This was just before he moved to San Francisco. Anyway, at that time I was living with a great young Italian woman who also happened to be a marvelous cook. So when I spotted Joe on the street one day, I introduced myself and within a couple of minutes I invited him for dinner. He came a couple of nights later and, as would be expected, it was a marvelous and memorable evening listening to him comment on musicians and his own recordings in particular.

To get to the point, I put on the LP of Joe in Japan and I recall him stating that he too thought that it was a great recording and that he had been surprised at how terrific that Japanese rhythm section was. Certainly for my taste, the version of "Blue Bossa" on that record surpasses the many that Joe did either as a leader or sideman, and is my favorite version of that KD tune of all I've ever heard. :)

Well I am glad some people bought Montreal Tapes with Joe Henderson and that the discussion has begun, but I disagree with the criticisms of this Cd.

I do not hear that Joe's playing diminishes when Foster and Haden comes in on "Round Midnight" as Dr. J. finds.

I also have no problem with Al Foster's playing on this record as JSngry does, but I am no expert on drummers.

The more I play this one, the more I like it.

My apologies to anyone who bought this and feels I overpraised it.

• 1 year later...

Picked this up the other day. Does anyone know why "All the Things You Are" fades in and out at the beginning and end, respectively? Tape problems or something?

I like this enough, but probably won't listen to it too much after the initial listening. How do I explain? You go to a concert, and the memories of said concert, especially if they're good memories, tend to drown out any imperfections or slow spots during the show; whereas with some live CDs, you not only get reminders of the slow spots, but then have to sit through them again. And again. And again!!! Even the players wouldn't want to play the exact same thing over and over again; I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want you to listen to it, either. For the most part, anyway; this, of course, ignores those truly magical moments where you're thankful someone caught it on tape, and you'll be able to relive those moments for the rest of your life!

I guess what I'm saying is, I may listen to this once, but I'll always remember it as something more than inspired! And I'll always wish I had seen this show, as well as the others in the series! :tup

Edited by Big Al

• 3 years later...

Bump - I've been listening to the Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell Montreal recording (GREAT performance!!!) and while reading through the notes, it says these are the shows that were performed:

30 Jul 89 - w/Joe Henderson/Al Foster

1 Aug 89 - w/Geri Allen/Paul Motian

2 Aug 89 - w/Don Cherry/Ed Blackwell

3 Aug 89 - w/Gonzalo Rubalcaba/Paul Motian

5 Aug 89 - w/Pat Metheny/Jack DeJohnette

6 Aug 89 - w/Edberto Gismonti

7 Aug 89 - w/Paul Bley/Paul Motian

8 Aug 89 - w/Liberation Music Orchestra

Has the Metheny/DeJohnette date ever been officially released? All the others have, it would be nice for "completeness" sake if that one was, as well.

edit - Looking at my other discs, I think those dates are off in the booklet by a month.

Edited by Aggie87