Jazz documentaries on YouTube - recommendations?

BillF

54 minutes ago, uli said:

I enjoy watching jazz (and other music) docs and would welcome some recs as well. I recently stumbled on the following and enjoyed very much.

Thanks for the recommendation. My most recently viewed, a BBC offering called Jazz Legends in their Own Words, was a disappointment - real jazz-for-beginners stuff with a facile commentary.

Next up: Celebrating Bird: The Triumph of Charlie Parker and 1959: The Year that Changed Jazz. I'll let you know what I think of them.

Edited by BillF

23 hours ago, BillF said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqorVLscxRI

Celebrating Bird: The Triumph of Charlie Parker

i think that this is the only documentary that includes the complete tv clip with the interview before hot house. most docs omit the interview. if it's not this one, then it's 'bird lives'. but i think that it's this one.

1 hour ago, l p said:

i think that this is the only documentary that includes the complete tv clip with the interview before hot house. most docs omit the interview. if it's not this one, then it's 'bird lives'. but i think that it's this one.

Yes, it's this one. I don't recall seeing the full clip before.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRdwt4KeXw Through the Eyes of a Drummer: the Life and Photography of Jimmy Wormworth.

Bassist Neal Miner's loving piece on the drummer's life as a musician and amateur photographer of many great musicians (including Dizzy Gillespie, Paul Chambers, Cannonball Adderley). Jimmy talks about his early career in Utica, NY, his work with groups such as Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, and others---and the camera really likes him. The pics are great, and Jimmy narrates them. Interviewees include George Braith, Charles Davis, and Lou Donaldson.

Edited by fasstrack

40 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRdwt4KeXw Through the Eyes of a Drummer: the Life and Photography of Jimmy Wormworth.

Bassist Neal Miner's loving piece on the drummer's life as a musician and amateur photographer of many great musicians (including Dizzy Gillespie, Paul Chambers, Cannonball Adderley). Jimmy talks about his early career in Utica, NY, his work with groups such as Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross, and others---and the camera really likes him. The pics are great, and Jimmy narrates them. Interviewees include George Braith, Charles Davis, and Lou Donaldson.

Yes, great! (See my post of 17th December, above.)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...