Stanley Turrentine

Jim Alfredson

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Stanley Turrentine's CTI output, virtually all of it.   The subsequent Warner Brothers albums were sort of hit miss.  I don't listen to them much, partly because there is so much other great Stanley Turrentine to consume.   But the CTI albums were definitely PRIME.   Sometimes nothing else hits the spot like they do,.   

11 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Not even "Cherry" with Milt Jackson, or the concert with Freddie Hubbard? Those aren't the usual CTI kind of record.

MG

If I was going to get one, it would likely be Cherry for the cover of Lee Morgan's "Speedball".  I own a few things on the label, but I'm not much of a fan overall.  Like I said, I have all of Turrentine's leader and sideman dates for BN as well as some sideman dates on Impulse, Prestige, and Atlantic.  Just don't really need those he did on CTI.

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

If I was going to get one, it would likely be Cherry for the cover of Lee Morgan's "Speedball".  I own a few things on the label, but I'm not much of a fan overall.  Like I said, I have all of Turrentine's leader and sideman dates for BN as well as some sideman dates on Impulse, Prestige, and Atlantic.  Just don't really need those he did on CTI.

Not even 'Sugar'?

8 hours ago, John L said:

I love Stanley Turrentine's CTI output, virtually all of it.   The subsequent Warner Brothers albums were sort of hit miss.  I don't listen to them much, partly because there is so much other great Stanley Turrentine to consume.   But the CTI albums were definitely PRIME.   Sometimes nothing else hits the spot like they do,.   

There is a best of CD from his CTI years that just slays.

https://www.discogs.com/master/1365955-Stanley-Turrentine-The-Best-Of-Stanley-Turrentine

So if I had to pick one of the Warner LPs, what would you suggest?