Columbia House Wants to Return to Vinyl Roots

mjzee

Columbia House, the mail-order brand steeped in music history, is staging a comeback that it hopes will turn the tables on the music industry’s 15-year digital drive.

John Lippman, who bought the onetime music giant out of bankruptcy this month, says he wants to restore the brand to its vinyl roots, betting that the last decade’s wave of digitization won’t eradicate vestiges of music’s more tangible past.

More here: WSJ (or Google "Columbia House Seeks Revival as Vinyl Finds New Groove").

11 hours ago, mjzee said:

Don't forget Record Club of America!

Dude...I signed up for them and was stoked, no minimum, no obligation, records for dirt cheap, and then I get my first bunch in, Blind Faith, Time/Peace, Transition, Burnt Weenie Sandwich, I forget what else, and they all have this sticker on them about manufactured especially for Record Club Of America, something like that, and I was like, fuck this, this shit is bogus, and never ordered again. But they kept me on their mailing list for another 3-4 years, and you know me, loneliness ends at the mailbox, so there was that.

I also wonder if this new Columbia House will charge the items off against the artist as promo copies, exempt from all artist compensation. That was a neat little rick that I never knew about until a few years ago, when it was mentioned here.

• 1 month later...