What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Image result for john storgårds - kalevi aho: symphony no. 12 luosto

Can't say I care much for this - conjures up visions of 'man the hunter' beating his chest in the morning before setting out to procure mammoth steaks single-handed. The lyrics are probably about something much more uplifting but my Finnish is rusty. 

Image result for Messiaen bate nativite

Another Xmas favourite. 

Image result for bridge: a royal night of variety; the pageant of london; etc. by richard hickox

The volume of the series that gathers up the odds and ends. Bridge wrote lots of occasional and functional music and you can imagine much of this being performed in palm courts in posh Brighton hotels in the early 20thC. There is a song from 1924 (by which time Bridge's ears were well tuned to radical musical developments in mainland Europe) where the orchestration and harmony sound rather like Zemlinsky. Otherwise, for Bridge-o-philes only. The rest of the series, on the other hand, has some astounding music.

Image result for While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks

18thC seasonal churchy music, absolutely awash with shepherds (and the odd angel). What Jane Austin probably sang in church at Christmas. Most agreeable. 

Frederic Delius – Florida Suite, Idylle Printemps, Schervo, Over the Hills and Far Away, La Quadroone, Koanga (final scene)
— English Northern Philharmonia – David Lloyd-Jones (Naxos)

71-runkwPVL._SX522_.jpg

My only Delius CD.  (Have some bits and pieces elsewhere.)  I enjoyed it (except for the last six minutes when the opera singers started in).

Edited by alankin

Now playing, CD 2:
Emmanuel Chabrier 
– Bourrée Fantasque
– Joyeuse Marche
Maurice Ravel 
– Pavane pour une infante défunte
– Menuet antique
– Menuet sur le nom de Haydn
– Jeux d'eau
– Miroirs 5 pieces for piano
– Le Tombeau de Couperin
— Marcelle Meyer (piano) (Documents / EMI)

71cAj9XPkkL._SX522_.jpg

5 hours ago, alankin said:

Now playing, CD 2:
Emmanuel Chabrier 
– Bourrée Fantasque
– Joyeuse Marche
Maurice Ravel 
– Pavane pour une infante défunte
– Menuet antique
– Menuet sur le nom de Haydn
– Jeux d'eau
– Miroirs 5 pieces for piano
– Le Tombeau de Couperin
— Marcelle Meyer (piano) (Documents / EMI)

71cAj9XPkkL._SX522_.jpg

This woman's playing is fantastic! Such a beautiful touch, and very soulful. I'm buying this set!

18 hours ago, alankin said:

Frederic Delius – Florida Suite, Idylle Printemps, Schervo, Over the Hills and Far Away, La Quadroone, Koanga (final scene)
— English Northern Philharmonia – David Lloyd-Jones (Naxos)

71-runkwPVL._SX522_.jpg

My only Delius CD.  (Have some bits and pieces elsewhere.)  I enjoyed it (except for the last six minutes when the opera singers started in).

Get this:

Image result for delius barbirolli

Don't think it's currently in print but it's probably available s/h. 

Mostly Delius miniatures (which to my mind are where you find the best Delius) but also has the sprawling 'Appalachia' which is part Dvorak, part 'Porgy and Bess'. Most is on the big EMI Delius box but that is probably for Delius obsessives only.

Image result for NancarrowstudiesImage result for athena quartett - györgy kurtág: complete works for string quartetImage result for antoni wit - karol szymanowski: symphonies nos. 1

Disc 5 of the Nancarrow. Extraordinary music - both Nancarrow and Kurtag are new to me this year, thanks to the live performances of the Ligeti Quartet. Very taken by the Kurtag. The early pieces on the Szymanowski are a bit over the top - very R. Strauss - but I like the Fourth. 

Image result for gustav klimt beech trees

SQ 1 and 2. Went mad on these old favourites in the spring. First listen for six months - think the Kurtag set me off.