What Classical Music Are You Listening To?

StarThrower

• Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• Referentzhunter

• HutchFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Have you seen this incredible Luc Ferrari documentary featuring footage of Scherchen rehearsing the 'Art of Fugue'? Amazing document, as are the other Ferrari films in the series!

I am going to watch the documentary. Maybe Glenn Gould has to watch to and learn how to play Bach properly. Bye the way, i have some 'music concrete' of Luc Ferrari and i love it !!!

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

I am going to watch the documentary. Maybe Glenn Gould has to watch to and learn how to play Bach properly. Bye the way, i have some 'music concrete' of Luc Ferrari and i love it !!!

Different strokes for different folks obviously ;) .... 

43 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Different strokes for different folks obviously ;) .... 

For me his studiorecordings of Bach's music are unemotional/mechanical, monotonous in most of his 'Bach 'recordings. I prefer his 'Goldberg Variations Live in Salzbourg' and some others. I once read that Glenn Gould was a practicing beast but in front of public he harmonized what does the trick for me. For me it is ok that some people like his 'Bach' studiorecordings some don't and we can't deny Glenn was a controversial pianist. 

Add: if i listen to his studiorecordings of ' Bach' i have to dose them. I can't listen to all of his 'Italian suites' at once par example. Do you recognize that ? The record or cd you've played is more balanced because of different pieces.

Edited by Referentzhunter

16 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

For me his studiorecordings of Bach's music are unemotional/mechanical, monotonous in most of his 'Bach 'recordings. I prefer his 'Goldberg Variations Live in Salzbourg' and some others. I once read that Glenn Gould was a practicing beast but in front of public he harmonized what does the trick for me. For me it is ok that some people like his 'Bach' studiorecordings some don't and we can't deny Glenn was a controversial pianist. 

Add: if i listen to his studiorecordings of ' Bach' i have to dose them. I can't listen to all of his 'Italian suites' at once par example. Do you recognize that ? The record or cd you've played is more balanced because of different pieces.

I`m positively biased towards Gould and his Bach studio recordings , especially Partitas and French + English Suites ....  Gould`s performances you might perceive as monotonous to me unfold a deeply meditative effect - but as you rightly said his interpretations are controversial ....

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I`m positively biased towards Gould and his Bach studio recordings , especially Partitas and French + English Suites ....  Gould`s performances you might perceive as monotonous to me unfold a deeply meditative effect - but as you rightly said his interpretations are controversial ....

Motivated me. Maybe i have to give it another approach

NP

R-1256355-1533243046-6756.jpeg.jpg