Erroll Garner's Blue Note (Overture To Dawn) Recordings

romualdo

Blue Note released 5 10" LP's of Garner's recordings (recorded in Timme Rosenkrantz's NYC apartment? in late 44-early 45) 

Doesn't appear these are readily available ATS

They have been released over a few CDs from the Chronological Classics series, the Danish Official label (3LP or 2CD) & Charly (Le Jazz) has released half of the tracks on a CD called "The Apartment Sessions, Vol. 1" - doesn't look like they ever did a volume 2.

This would be a lovely reissue project as there were also other titles from these sessions released on other labels (Dial, Selmer, Century) - would be great to have all of this material together.

Interesting to see what will be reissued in the future since Martha Glaser (Erroll's manager) has donated a lot of his material/recordings to the University of Pittstburgh - the "Concert By The Sea" is a good example of a well done job.

Thanks for mentioning these recordings, Romualdo.

I bought the "Ouverture to Dawn" 3-LP set from Official quite a few years ago secondhand at a giveaway price. Time to spin them again, maybe. 
By coincidence I pulled them out last night, searching for a related Timme Rosenkrantz recording of Erroll Garner (of which there were many, according to Bruyininckx).

While perusing a 1947 copy of ORKESTER JOURNALEN last night I came across a review of "He Pulled A Fast One" Pt. 1 + 2 on Jazz Star 4750 credited to Tmme Rosenkrantz All Stars along with two other 78s featuring tracks from the 1945 Town Hall Concerts and credited to the same "All Stars":I have the Town Hall recordings and am 100% sure (well, almost ;)) I also have the above one (that title distinctly rings a bell) but was unable to find it in my (substantial) vinyl collection. Not on any of my Garner LPs, not on any V.A. LPs I checked.

Bruyninckx. lists the session like this:

24295791yp.jpg

I know I don't have any of these releases, including the "77" vinyl (a Doug Dobell reissue, I suppose). Are any of you aware of any of any other reissues (beyond the ones listed and apart from the "Chronological Classics" 1944-45 volume of Erroll Garner) of these tracks from the past 30-40 years (that I may have missed searching for)?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 1/16/2016 at 9:30 PM, bichos said:

here is more from timme´s Archive:

http://www.storyvillerecords.com/products/timmes-treasures-1018439

Monk with "round midnight" from 1944!!!!! unissued!!!!!

Keep boppin´

marcel

thanks for the link bichos - all previously unreleased choice material - will get this with my next import CD order

20 hours ago, bichos said:

big beat steve, the ones you´ve mentioned from bruyninckx are all on the "chronogical" classics 873 (erroll garner 1944-1945).

keep boppin´

marcel

I know, Marcel (but thanks anyway). That's why I mentoned that CD (to exclude it from the reissues I was looking for). Somehow, somewhere there must be another one out there. Or there is another tune with the same title by another artist that I might have gotten mixed up.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, ctuck1 said:

thanks for the link - all the Blue Note titles can be downloaded as MP3's - unfortunately the link to the CD takes you to the old Charly version (The Apartment Sessions, Vol. 1) which contains only half of the titles

• 4 years later...

It's funny because on the Chronological series (802) of the Garner series, the first volume, there are two different front and back covers.  One just says "piano solos" and the other lists other musicians.  Even on the notes inside the booklet, one says all Garner solos, and one says other musicians are on "I surrender dear" and "on the sunny side of the street".  Same barcode. Yet, when you play both of the cd's, they both sound like piano solos. 

page 7.jpg

Edited by Gullywater
Picture added

My version (from the UK Charly CD "Overture To Dawn" The Apartment Sessions) is basically Erroll on piano with drum support

Definitely no trombone or clarinet

The key is mentioned on page 332 of the Blue Note Discography (1st Edn)

"This recording featured parts by Bobby Pratt (tb) & Barney Bigard (cl), which are not included in issued records"

So, The Lord Discography needs to be modified - I'll send that info to Tom (Lord) to update/modify as I contribute to it

the Lord Discography has these details

New York, December, 1944
  It had to be you (unissued)
  I surrender dear (incomplete) Blue Note BLP5008, New York (Dan) (no#), BNP
    (F)25.102, Official (Dan)83016-2 [CD],
    Classics (F)802 [CD]
Note:

"I surrender dear" as "Beg your pardon on New York (Dan)(no#).

whereas The Jazz Discography Project has

Erroll Garner, piano; George Wettling or maybe Doc West, drums; overdubbed in at a later date, poss. 1953.

Timme Rosenkrantz apartment, NYC, December 14, 1944

I Surrender, Dear

Man, I didn't know any of this.  I mean I had heard of the possible overdubs, but the parts about not being included on issued records makes sense.  Possibly "On The Sunny Side of the Street" was shortened as well, with Dickenson coming in later?  Thank you so kindly for responding so quickly even though I am about 4 years late to the party lol

Edited by Gullywater
Additional statement.