Free: a Paul Bley memorial celebration — NYC | February 11, 2016

bluenoter

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fkimbrough said:

Hi skeith - thanks for making it!  

My pleasure....THANKS TO YOU AND THE OTHER PERFORMERS FOR A WONDERFUL AND WELL-DESERVED TRIBUTE

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Nobody wants to get on Aaron Parks' bad side... that's for sure!

Funny you should say that....maybe you were there last night at the event when he started getting on the case of a guy who was filming it?.....although Aaron did it in a very nice way I thought.

2 hours ago, skeith said:

Funny you should say that....maybe you were there last night at the event when he started getting on the case of a guy who was filming it?.....although Aaron did it in a very nice way I thought.

yeah, I was there. Then there was the dude ribbing him for being too "odd." Must've been the little blue chair and the hat. I thought his playing was strong and added a bit of lyric levity to the program.

The precise moment of that note is at 1:23 - it ends a phrase that begins a few seconds earlier.  This is from the 1965 recording "Closer" on ESP, with Steve Swallow and Barry Altschul.  FWIW, this recording is mastered at the wrong speed - the result is it's a half-step higher (and a little faster) than it should be.  Even though the most recent release of it was just a few years ago, it's never been corrected.  I actually had a conversation with Bernard Stollman about it - when I told him it was mastered at the wrong speed, he asked how I knew, and I told him that Bley himself had told me.  He wondered why Paul had never mentioned it.  My guess is that Paul didn't care, but I'd still love to see it corrected for future releases.    

thanks Frank

I do have that recording and wondered if there was a speed issue because it just sounds weird....hoping for improvement I bought Closer again when I got the 2008 remastered cd...and while the fidelity is better - as you say it doesn't sound like anything was done with the speed issue.

Thanks so much for your help.

@ skeith —

Turn up your volume and paste this into your browser's address bar:

http://dothemath.typepad.com/files/ida-lupino-correct-speed.mp3

You should then hear a pitch-corrected and speed-corrected version of  the "Ida Lupino" on Closer that Rob Schwimmer provided to Ethan Iverson (two of the seven pianists at the Paul Bley celebration, as you doubtless know). And you should see a player that has "time elapsed" info., unlike the player that Ethan Iverson used in the relevant post on his blog Do The Math.

That has worked for me on the only two browsers I have, Internet Explorer and Firefox (I'm in Windows 7 on a desktop PC).

Iverson added a long series of updates to his blog post announcing the Paul Bley celebration. He addresses the speed issue near the very end of those updates:

You can find Closer on ESP-Disk but the speed is wrong! It's a half-step too high. This is a real problem. To heck with it: From Rob, here's a pitch-corrected and slowed-down "Ida Lupino" with Steve Swallow and Barry Altschul. 

Keith Jarrett told me Bley was, "Like Ahmad Jamal on different kinds of drugs." That makes sense especially on this Carla Bley "latin" number. 1965.

[his player with the audio clip "Ida Lupino correct speed"]

Edited by bluenoter