Kamasi Washington: NYT Magazine profile

47 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Best actual in house selection of Jazz CDs I ever encountered was at Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney.

The one in New York city was awesome.  I don't think they're around anywhere.  The same could be said for Tower Records on Broadway.  Incredible selection but sadly just a memory.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Branson shut down the Megastores here in the states about a decade ago, IIRC. But man, I remember stopping in there at 1a.m. on our way back from club hopping City Walk at Universal and just perusing for an hour or so, and taking in the atmosphere. That was at least a monthly occurrence. I'd say close to half of my Coltrane collection came from there. 

We had two Virgins here, one in Dallas, which was kinda blah on a mega scale, and another one out at the Grapevine Mills outlet mall, which was a freakin'  treasure chest, both in their regular stock and, especially, in their cutout bins, which is apparently where a lot of their "international" inventory went to die (or else be bought by people who said, hey, wtf is THAT cover, i'm buying it even if i can't read one word on it!).

The best record stores for me nowadays are online places like Berkshire Record Outlet, where you get an email saying, ok, we've gotten some new things in, here's a link to what they are, click here, and I don't recognize ANY of it, but this one here sure looks like it will be good, lather, rinse repeat, next thing you know, oh shit, I gotta put some of this back...that's how a real record store operates, by making you put stuff back for the next time, and yes, there will be a next time.

• 1 month later...

KW is interviewed in this month's 'Gramophone' magazine (long-running UK magazine that reviews classical recordings). He talks about his interests in classical music - Stravinsky, Hindemith, Prokofiev, Ravel - as well as his jazz music. In the regular last page slot where celebrities from all walks of life get a chance to talk about the music they particularly love. He chooses the Sony 'Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky' as 'The Record I Could Not Live Without'.  

On 6 April 2016 at 8:38 AM, A Lark Ascending said:

KW is interviewed in this month's 'Gramophone' magazine (long-running UK magazine that reviews classical recordings). He talks about his interests in classical music - Stravinsky, Hindemith, Prokofiev, Ravel - as well as his jazz music. In the regular last page slot where celebrities from all walks of life get a chance to talk about the music they particularly love. He chooses the Sony 'Stravinsky conducts Stravinsky' as 'The Record I Could Not Live Without'.  

That must be the first mention of 'jazz' in The Gramophone for at least 3 decades..