*** The Duke Ellington Corner ***

king ubu

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, now that I know of a glaring gap, I couldn't let that stand. :D I couldn't find the 'Best of' set of 4 discs, but I did grab the truncated 'Real' set of 3 discs for $9 (including shipping!) to give me a taste until the Mosaic pops up for a price I can handle.  Although I hate to buy material that I know will later be duplicated, at least the set has those rehearsal takes (not like I could ever hope to be a Duke completist).

15 hours ago, medjuck said:

RCA and Columbia are now both owned by Sony.  So I guess the vintage logos refer to the present labels. (It is confusing.) 

It is actually a combination of Columbia and RCA tracks.

Apart from the 2 previously unissued tracks, 'Daybreak Express' is an RCA cut.

Edited by Steve Gray
UNissued

5 hours ago, Justin V said:

Well, now that I know of a glaring gap, I couldn't let that stand. :D I couldn't find the 'Best of' set of 4 discs, but I did grab the truncated 'Real' set of 3 discs for $9 (including shipping!) to give me a taste until the Mosaic pops up for a price I can handle.  Although I hate to buy material that I know will later be duplicated, at least the set has those rehearsal takes (not like I could ever hope to be a Duke completist).

Discs 1 & 3 duplicate the same discs in the 4 disc set. The 2nd disc is drawn from discs 2 & 4.

The program for the 2023 conference in Paris is available:

Duke Ellington International Meeting 2023 - La Maison du Duke (maison-du-duke.com)

I'm looking forward to meeting friends again for the first time since 2016 in New York or the DESUK AGM in 2017.

I could'n make it to the Birmingham meeting and the one in Washington was cancelled due to Covid.

The Laurent Mingnard Duke Orchestra will perfom selections from Boola. Unearthed by Michael Killpatrick from the Smithsonian Duke Ellington archive.

Edited by miles65
typo

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us who plan to go to the Paris conference: 

Tickets for most events can be downloaded from Booking EN - La Maison du Duke (maison-du-duke.com)

Be on time. For sessions in the Médiathèque Musicale de Paris there are only 60 tickets avialable.

There are not yet tickets available for the screening of Paris Blues.

Unfortunately there are no tickets available for visiting the Boris Vian home or the Sunday commented walk. These are for speakers only.

I now have tickets for the 2 concerts and the 4 seances in the Médiathèque Musicale de Paris.

I'll  skip the Duke for kids event.

On 2/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, miles65 said:

The program for the 2023 conference in Paris is available:

Duke Ellington International Meeting 2023 - La Maison du Duke (maison-du-duke.com)

I'm looking forward to meeting friends again for the first time since 2016 in New York or the DESUK AGM in 2017.

I could'n make it to the Birmingham meeting and the one in Washington was cancelled due to Covid.

The Laurent Mingnard Duke Orchestra will perfom selections from Boola. Unearthed by Michael Killpatrick from the Smithsonian Duke Ellington archive.

God wiling and the creek don't rise I'll see you there. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My daughter is 5 and a budding Duke fan.  She has made up lyrics to the tune of 'C Jam Blues', sung along with 'What Am I Here For?',  played air clarinet and mouthed wah-wah sounds to plunger-muted trombone.

Her preschool is winding up the year and had a dance party.  She asked her teacher to play 'Bunny Hop Mambo'.  I love her madly. :D

9 hours ago, Justin V said:

My daughter is 5 and a budding Duke fan.  She has made up lyrics to the tune of 'C Jam Blues', sung along with 'What Am I Here For?',  played air clarinet and mouthed wah-wah sounds to plunger-muted trombone.

Her preschool is winding up the year and had a dance party.  She asked her teacher to play 'Bunny Hop Mambo'.  I love her madly. :D

Quite the sophisticated young lady! This story was a very nice start to my day. 😊