Gato Barbieri R.I.P.

ghost of miles

The 'El Pampero' album was a landmark listening experience for me.  It was the first thing I ever heard by him, and it has remained my Barbieri go-to album.  I saw him at the Tower Theatre in Philly in the 70's,  and maybe one other time at a smaller venue.  RIP. 

Gato, Pharoah, and Braxton - were the ultimate triumvirate of players for me in those days.
You could always hear that searing sax out of my bedroom or out of my "workshop" 
that I
used for practice in the early 70's.

A favorite thing I used to do as a DJ then was play Gato's Tupac Amaru and 
immediately follow it with Astral Traveling from Pharoah's album Thembi - 
one ending and the other beginning with those suspended Rhodes chords.
You start Astral Traveling up (on the video) as soon as the last note is played
by Gato and it works together in a lovely way.

Edited by rostasi

I must admit he never was among my favourites (he was one for my best friend who passed last year, who had all of his Impulse recordings), but I always respected his contributions. The first albums where I really liked his playing were the two Hip Bop Essence All Stars' Afrocubano Chant CDs - he fits in perfectly with is muscular style and sawblade tone. 

R.I.P., Gato.

51TRKFH44DL.jpg41cOcVBPz%2BL.jpg

The recent expanded version of Last Tango, which includes the film tracks as well as the album, is a revelation.  Some film score albums really do a great job of presenting the music cohesively and fairly comprehensively.  In this case, I will never listen to the LP version again save for a couple of key tracks.  The film version is really definitive, and you get much more of the collaboration between Oliver Nelson and Gato.  

RIP.

10 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Don't know a lot of his music but his incendiary playing on 'Escalator Over the Hill' and 'Tropic Appetites' were one of the things that got me interested in exploring jazz c. 1975 when I first heard those records. 

RIP  

yes, the same with me....rest in peace....unidentified cat......

"'I do not scream' said Gato, 'for the same reasons Pharaoh Sanders screams'".  Some liner note verbiage that stuck in my head.  He certainly had his own voice.  Last Tango (expanded), Latin America (expanded), and the duets with Dollar Brand are my go-to selections.  And the first side of Yesterdays on Flying Dutchman with "Yesterdays" and "A John Coltrane Blues" (even if it sounds more like King Curtis goes latin).

I've come to respect the hell out of his "commercial" work. Coming to terms with the exact nuances of his reading of "Europa" was a fucking head trip. He was feeling that stuff in a way that not may other attempters of the same thing were.

RIP, El Apasionado