Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:27 PM, kinuta said:
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, BillF said:

:tup :tup

Federico Fellini double bill.

8 1/2 (1963)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-production/release_boxshots/2620-ef5f90dc37328d4849ee48c446499c8f/140_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

Juliet Of The Spirits (1965)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41X9S8Q2WSL.jpg

Took a few viewing to appreciate ' Juliet '.

Once I realized it was a female mirror of 8 1/2 and that both are deeply influenced by Fellini's acid trips, all became clear.

It's best watched by switching off the part of the brain that demands narrative logic and just going with the flow of the colour and imagery.

Watched in tandem with 8 1/2, it makes an exceptional viewing experience.

There are some directors whom I've never been able to connect with. Fellini is one of those. I know I'm in a distinct minority, but ...

journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth-1959.

An entertaining movie, even with -- or perhaps because of -- the frequently cheesy special effects.  I never thought of Pat Boone as being in the stud muffin category, but the filmmakers must have because they found reason to have him spend a large part of the movie shirtless.  Since the film begins in Scotland, Mr. Boone attempts a Scottish accent some of the time and it is truly bad.  I think James Mason attempted a Scottish accent as well in the beginning, but then just reverted back to sounding like James Mason.  It was surprising that their expedition spent months underground and yet the men always remained clean shaven.  Future TV immortals Alan Napier (Alfred on Batman) and Thayer David (Prof. Stokes on Dark Shadows) also performed in this film

On 8/4/2016 at 3:58 PM, duaneiac said:

Now on my list of "worst movies ever made" --

one+more+time.jpg

This movie is truly awful!  It's a sequel to the 1968 movie Salt & Pepper (but see, Sammy Davis is Charlie Salt and Peter Lawford is Chris Pepper -- bet you didn't see that coming -- and sadly, that's the level of humor to be found here).  I saw that film a few years ago and found it mildly amusing, but this piece of crap was unbearable.  I actually could not make it all the way through the movie, which is very rare for me.  The two characters are co-owners of a swinging London nightclub who get into financial trouble so Pepper goes to see his identical twin brother, Lord Pepper for help.  Shortly after that, Lord Pepper is murdered and Mr. Pepper assumes his identity and title and life of wealth & ease without telling his friend Salt.  But it turns out Lord Pepper had been working with Interpol to break a diamond smuggling ring and he had double crossed both the smugglers and Interpol so they are all out to get him.  Hilarious, right?  It is so, so sad watching two middle aged men who have obviously been doing too much drugs trying to be late-1960's hip.  The one and only good point of the movie (or at least the portion of it that I could sit through) was Sammy Davis' performance of "When The Feeling Hits You", which is actually one of his better recordings of that era.  Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do make a cameo appearance together, but their scene is ruined by Mr. Davis' mugging.

That tag line at the top of the movie poster is funnier than anything to be found in the movie.

I dare any of you to watch this movie all the way through!

It's directed by Jerry Lewis!  The Jerry Lewis!!???

On 07/08/2016 at 11:34 PM, kinuta said:

Ridley Scott double bill.

Body Of Lies (2008)

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51IfvjynItL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

American Gangster (2007)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51CoBK1nDHL.jpg

I saw American Gangster. Brutal. IIRC, Ruby Dee played Washington's character's mother...

On 06/08/2016 at 1:36 PM, medjuck said:

On 04/08/2016 at 3:58 PM, duaneiac said:

Now on my list of "worst movies ever made" --

one+more+time.jpg

This movie is truly awful!  It's a sequel to the 1968 movie Salt & Pepper (but see, Sammy Davis is Charlie Salt and Peter Lawford is Chris Pepper -- bet you didn't see that coming -- and sadly, that's the level of humor to be found here).  I saw that film a few years ago and found it mildly amusing, but this piece of crap was unbearable.  I actually could not make it all the way through the movie, which is very rare for me.  The two characters are co-owners of a swinging London nightclub who get into financial trouble so Pepper goes to see his identical twin brother, Lord Pepper for help.  Shortly after that, Lord Pepper is murdered and Mr. Pepper assumes his identity and title and life of wealth & ease without telling his friend Salt.  But it turns out Lord Pepper had been working with Interpol to break a diamond smuggling ring and he had double crossed both the smugglers and Interpol so they are all out to get him.  Hilarious, right?  It is so, so sad watching two middle aged men who have obviously been doing too much drugs trying to be late-1960's hip.  The one and only good point of the movie (or at least the portion of it that I could sit through) was Sammy Davis' performance of "When The Feeling Hits You", which is actually one of his better recordings of that era.  Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do make a cameo appearance together, but their scene is ruined by Mr. Davis' mugging.

That tag line at the top of the movie poster is funnier than anything to be found in the movie.

I dare any of you to watch this movie all the way through!

Hilarious! Thanks, I've been needing to laugh all day. Maybe one day I'll see this piece of dog crap and laugh at it...

Here's a review: https://letterboxd.com/film/one-more-time/

Edited by fasstrack

Just watched A Bronx Tale. Call me lowbrow, but I thought it damn good. It had a lot of heart---even had Duke Pearson's Cristo Redentor in the soundtrack in one scene. Only thing is, DeNiro should pay royalties to Martin Scorsese. The gangster scenes were pretty derivative, down to the use of music. Hell of a movie, though, for what it tried to do and did...

15 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Just watched A Bronx Tale. Call me lowbrow, but I thought it damn good. It had a lot of heart---even had Duke Pearson's Cristo Redentor in the soundtrack in one scene. Only thing is, DeNiro should pay royalties to Martin Scorsese. The gangster scenes were pretty derivative, down to the use of music. Hell of a movie, though, for what it tried to do and did...

I see no reason to apologize for liking this film! It's great! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I loved it when Chazz Palminteri's charater is asked by the kid how to know if a girl is the right girl, and after saying something somewhat generic , he takes it back and says no, if she unlocks the drivers door of the car for you from inside, she's the girl...

heh, of course it's on youtube... you will have to watch the film to find out if she does or doesn't (or just search on youtube) ;)

After A Bronx Tale I later watched Donnie Brasco (geez, I need some things to do...).

Funniest line: Lefty, on ABSCAM boat with Donnie/Joe: You go to the bough. I'll stay at the stern...

10 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

I see no reason to apologize for liking this film! It's great! It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I loved it when Chazz Palminteri's charater is asked by the kid how to know if a girl is the right girl, and after saying something somewhat generic , he takes it back and says no, if she unlocks the drivers door of the car for you from inside, she's the girl...

heh, of course it's on youtube... you will have to watch the film to find out if she does or doesn't (or just search on youtube) ;)

Palmentieri looked amazingly death-like lying in the coffin. Just like a real stiff...

Edited by fasstrack

Watched "Out of the Past" yet again. I think I finally figured out what the secret (at least for me) of Jane Greer's appeal is. Not to discount her eyes (like pools), her mouth, her shape and walk, but I think above all it's the sound and pitch of her liquid, almost gargling at times, voice. It's seductive, vulnerable, and, in the end, uniquely, profoundly menacing. That plus the fact that her voice at once somehow reveals and conceals her nature. BTW, Kirk Douglas is fantastic as Whit; his hair deserves a credit all by itself. Also, we're not told or shown how Greer deals with Douglas' character eventually, but when you think about it, what happens speaks of an almost unreal vulnerability on his part (given what he and we already know)  or a sublime deviousness on hers'. Finally, what do we make of the scene at the end where Mitchum's former girlfriend asks the deaf-and-dumb young gas station attendant her crucial question. Is he telling her the truth as he sees it, or what he suspects is the case, or is he conveying what hr knows or thinks  Mitchum's character would want him to under the circumstances? I vote for the last, but I recall reading an account of the film from some cineaste that claimed that what the boy does speaks of his disappointment in/even disgust at Mitchum's character.