• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, jlhoots said:

The Dig

I thought it was really good with great performances.  Apparently it was ignored at awards season because Carey Mulligan's people wanted to concentrate on "Promising Young Woman". 

Edited by medjuck

• 2 weeks later...

concrete-cowboy.png

Cowboys, horses, the long game of honesty (and the reality of the trap when you play the short game), the redemptive power of honest hard work, a horse that lives in an apartment that has an uncovered turntable that has a Coltrane record on it (Side Two of Ballads, apparently), Coltrane used as a tool for a ruptured father-son relationship, gentrification as a villain that is a cruel destructor of basic humanity, human-horse bonds that survive all of that, and once again - cowboys and horses. And in an urban setting, because, you know a city like Philly relied on horses long before it didn't and old stables and shit still exist in town.

What's not to like about that? Hell if I know. I loved it.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:31 PM, Bluesnik said:

Oh, I remember that one. From when? It even had a strong soundtrack with a theme that got to be a big hit.

"Calling You" was the song from Baghdad Cafe. It was nominated for a Best Song oscar.

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 2:46 PM, HutchFan said:

Anyone else looking forward to Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson's Summer of Soul as much as I am?!?!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/summer_of_soul

Available on July 2nd.

I'm going to resist the urge to stream it.  I want to see & hear it in a theater for maximum impact. :g

I saw this film earlier today.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  It's much, much more than a "concert movie."

There are so many great moments in the film -- but I gotta say that Mavis Staples' features hit me the hardest.  She flat-out tore me up, moved me to tears.

If you have a chance, see it in the theater.  You won't regret it.

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I saw this film earlier today.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  It's much, much more than a "concert movie."

There are so many great moments in the film -- but I gotta say that Mavis Staples' features hit me the hardest.  She flat-out tore me up, moved me to tears.

If you have a chance, see it in the theater.  You won't regret it.

Not in theaters here, so we'll stream it tonight on Hulu.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, GA Russell said:

Barnes & Noble (bn.com)

All Criterion Collection titles are 50% off this weekend.

More than the weekend, IIRC it's until the end of this month/beginning of August. They usually run these semiannual Criterion sales for almost a month.

Edited by Dave Garrett