Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/31/2017 at 11:51 AM, gmonahan said:

Saw "Call Me by Your Name," and think it the best film I've seen yet this year (including "Three Billboards," which I liked a LOT). It's a beautiful movie, with a particularly wonderful speech late by Michael Stuhlbarg, one of my favorite actors. Highly recommended.

gregmo

Watched the first half last night, going to watch the rest this evening after work.  It is indeed a beautiful movie so far!

• 1 month later...

Got the Criterion version of Round Midnight. Watched the film and all of the supplemental material.  Never liked the film when it first was released.  Like it better now but I can't get past Dexter's playing.  It does remind me of the last few Prez dates.  Interestingly everyone interviewed in the extra material (Cuscuna, Gary Giddens, Maxine Gordon) admits that Dexter isn't playing very well but  that it's ok in the context of the film.  However  everyone in the film keeps saying how great he is, not how great he was. One of the extras is a filmed performance of him playing "Fried Bananas" where you can see and hear how good he had been. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

InBalanchinesClassroom_poster_2025x3000.

Like No Maps On My Taps, it's a movie ostensibly about dance that is ultimately about something far more than just that. 

The line about the distortion of the hands with each generation...yes. Not just hands and not just dance. 

Recommended to any and all jazz lovers who have noticed the ongoing distortion of the hands. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going the horror route these days: 

Candyman remake/sequel - a must see

Hellraiser 2 (super weird and pretty disgusting but also silly and campy - tighter editing esp toward the end would have helped)

Creepshow 2 - terrible 

House - campy and kind of funny but also pretty bad

More misses than hits with 70s/80s horror camp stuff but 'tis the season. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

2000 Mules

Lol this is hot garbage. Is this what traffics in hard right circles these days? Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I feel sorry for you and anyone fooled by this nonsense. Dennis Prager is a fucking joke as is every blowhard sitting on those plush leather couches. They don't give a shit about democracy, just how they can fleece gullible ignoramouses and line their pockets. You're doing their publicity for them homie. If they're not giving you a check then you're a sucker. 

Edited by JSngry
removing overtly political clip