Jeremy Steig RIP

HolgerFreimutSchrick

Just by chance, I've recently been in touch with Steig's onetime musical partner on Steig's "Flute Flight," Denny Zeitlin, whom I heard and knew when we were both high school students in the northern Chicago suburbs in the late 1950s. (Denny is four years older than I am.) Tossing names from the past back and forth with Denny and then looking them up myself on the Internet when I didn't have current direct knowledge of their fates or whereabouts, I discovered that a good many of them are now deceased. 

For once, Wikipedia hasn't kept up - giving Steig's d.o.b. as Sept 23 1942, but not giving a date for his death.

I was born in 1939 and he did seem youthful to me when I saw him in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester in 1969 with a package that included the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, Freddie Hubbard, Richard Williams and Richard Groove Holmes.

R.I.P. 

I remember how I looked for copies of his Solid State and Blue Note LPs which still await a comprehensive reissue on CD - I love the groove and the open feeling of the music. The Capitol double LP with Jan Hammer, too. He had quite a following in Germany in the 1970's; Joachim Berendt used the beginning of a track from Mike Mainieri's album with Steig as theme music for his weekly radio show, so his sound was very familiar.

Thanks for the music.

48 minutes ago, BillF said:

I was born in 1939 and he did seem youthful to me when I saw him in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester in 1969 with a package that included the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, Freddie Hubbard, Richard Williams and Richard Groove Holmes.

I wonder why Blue Note never got around to reissue the music from that Jazz Wave Ltd. tour.

Edited by mikeweil

46 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

R.I.P. 

I remember how I looked for copies of his Solid State and Blue Note LPs which still await a comprehensive reissue on CD - I love the groove and the open feeling of the music. The Capitol double LP with Jan Hammer, too. He had quite a following in Germany in the 1970's; Joachim Berendt used the beginning of a track from Mike Manieri's album with Steig as theme music for his weekly radio show, so his sound was very familiar.

Thanks for the music.

I wonder why Blue Note never got around to reissue the music from that Jazz Wave Ltd. tour.

I think a Hubbard session made during the tour has been issued IIRC.