Favorite Monk tributes (single artist)

Milestones

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually never heard this one.  Any one have any opinions of it?

Bobby_Broom_Plays_For_Monk3.jpg

51EnJR%2BCfhL.jpg

There is a Bay Area group called Monk's Music Trio.  I have a couple of their CDs

t108830576-i6195867_s400.jpg

MI0001565218.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0001292126.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

From what I recall, it seemed like too much of a goodish thing.  One of those occasions where an LP length recording might have been better than a CD length one.

I have not heard these discs --

MI0002257456.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

t108830689-i274818097_s400.jpg

Back in November 1981, I very fortunately attended the evening concert of an all star gathering of musicians honoring Monk who was known to be in poor health at that moment in time.  Indeed, Monk passed away 3 months later.  The afternoon and evening concerts were titled "Interpretations of Monk", the four sets eventually being released sometime in 1994 on a four CD issue by DIW that I purchased immediately on sight.  I note that it's currently available from various sellers on Amazon for upwards of $95.  The front line for all four sets consisted of Don Cherry, Steve Lacy, Roswell Rudd and Charlie Rouse.  Richard Davis was the bassist throughout.  The drummer consisted of Ben Riley on the opening set of each concert, Ed Blackwell on the closing set of each.  The pianists were Muhal Richard Abrams (1st set), Barry Harris (2nd) afternoon concert; Anthony Davis (1st set), Mal Waldron (2nd) evening concert.  The variety of tune listings give an indication of how much work and rehearsal went into these concerts:

Disc: 1

1. Announcement - Verna Gillis
  2. Introduction - Nat Hentoff
  3. Crepuscule With Nellie
  4. I Mean You
  5. Ask Me Now
  6. Gallop's Gallop
  7. Blue Monk
  8. Four In One
  9. Poetry - Amiri Baraka

Disc: 2

1. Introduction - Stanley Crouch
  2. Monk's Mood
  3. Evidence
  4. Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
  5. Thelonious
  6. Well, You Needn't
  7. Announcement - Verna Gillis
  8. Ruby, My Dear

Disc: 3

1. Light Blue
  2. Eronel
  3. Bye-Ya
  4. Pannonica
  5. Off Minor
  6. Epistrophy

Disc: 4

2. 'Round About Midnight
  3. Let's Call This
  4. Reflections
  5. Friday The 13th
  6. Rhythm-A-Ning
  7. Epistrophy

1 hour ago, MartyJazz said:

Back in November 1981, I very fortunately attended the evening concert of an all star gathering of musicians honoring Monk who was known to be in poor health at that moment in time.  Indeed, Monk passed away 3 months later.  The afternoon and evening concerts were titled "Interpretations of Monk", the four sets eventually being released sometime in 1994 on a four CD issue by DIW that I purchased immediately on sight.  I note that it's currently available from various sellers on Amazon for upwards of $95.  The front line for all four sets consisted of Don Cherry, Steve Lacy, Roswell Rudd and Charlie Rouse.  Richard Davis was the bassist throughout.  The drummer consisted of Ben Riley on the opening set of each concert, Ed Blackwell on the closing set of each.  The pianists were Muhal Richard Abrams (1st set), Barry Harris (2nd) afternoon concert; Anthony Davis (1st set), Mal Waldron (2nd) evening concert.  The variety of tune listings give an indication of how much work and rehearsal went into these concerts:

Disc: 1

2. Introduction - Nat Hentoff
  3. Crepuscule With Nellie
  4. I Mean You
  5. Ask Me Now
  6. Gallop's Gallop
  7. Blue Monk
  8. Four In One
  9. Poetry - Amiri Baraka

Disc: 2

1. Introduction - Stanley Crouch
  2. Monk's Mood
  3. Evidence
  4. Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
  5. Thelonious
  6. Well, You Needn't
  7. Announcement - Verna Gillis
  8. Ruby, My Dear

Disc: 3

1. Light Blue
  2. Eronel
  3. Bye-Ya
  4. Pannonica
  5. Off Minor
  6. Epistrophy

Disc: 4

2. 'Round About Midnight
  3. Let's Call This
  4. Reflections
  5. Friday The 13th
  6. Rhythm-A-Ning
  7. Epistrophy

A set of music that captures the spirit of Monk better than most. Many others just play the tunes and do little more.

A set that some listeners may find to be too clever for its own good -- me, I like hearing Monk on prepared piano -- but John Stetch earns points fro trying to really engage with the music and find new ways to explore it.

MI0000421957.jpg

21 hours ago, paul secor said:

A set of music that captures the spirit of Monk better than most. Many others just play the tunes and do little more.

Have the Muhal and B. Harris discs. My memory of the Muhal disc is that much of the time Don Cherry sadly was at a loss as to how to play on those pieces, and that this seemed to discombobulate the rest of the band a fair bit. Cherry certainly knew how to respond to Monk's music -- he does so beautifully on Steve Lacy's "Evidence" -- but a fair amount of time (about 20 years)  had passed between that recording and these concerts.

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Have the Muhal and B. Harris discs. My memory of the Muhal disc is that much of the time Don Cherry sadly was at a loss as to how to play on those pieces, and that this seemed to discombobulate the rest of the band a fair bit. Cherry certainly knew how to respond to Monk's music -- he does so beautifully on Steve Lacy's "Evidence" -- but a fair amount of time (about 20 years)  had passed between that recording and these concerts.

My memory is not quite so negative, but I do remember it being not quite what I'd hoped somehow...

On 7/19/2016 at 7:27 AM, soulpope said:

600x600.jpg

Jean-Jacques Avenel`s solo performance of "Erronel" .... beyond belief ....

I had forgotten that one - so Lacy has recorded at least seven All-Monk albums. Eight, if you count I Remember Thelonious (a duo with Mal Waldron), which includes one Bud Powell tune.